Are you ready for the most delicious French toast bake recipe?! We combed our two favorite flavors, peanut butter and banana, to create an incredible baked French toast casserole recipe.
Hey girl hey, and welcome to my favorite breakfast of the year so far! You guys know that we are obsessed with all things peanut butter and banana. Like our Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Cookies or our Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats or my personal fav, Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Bake. Whatever you’re making, the combination of peanut butter and banana is just the best. Today we’re whipping up an easy French toast bake that the entire family will love. And? It will serve the entire family!
French Toast Bake Ingredients
For this particular oven baked French toast, you will need classic ingredients like a loaf of bread and eggs, but also 2 very special ingredients: peanut butter and sliced banana. Here’s the lineup and a few substitution notes you can make!
- Large eggs – we have not tested this with flax eggs or any other vegan eggs, so if you’re making this recipe, please stick with normal eggs!
- All-natural peanut butter – any kind of creamy, drippy nut butter will work. Some swap suggestions include almond butter and cashew butter.
- Unsweetened almond milk – any kind of milk will work such as soy, cow’s, or oat.
- Maple syrup – try another liquid sweetener such as honey or agave.
- Ground cinnamon – option to use a spice blend like homemade chai or pumpkin pie.
- Vanilla extract – this would also be delicious with almond extract or no extract at all!
- A loaf of sliced bread – have fun with your loaf of bread and use your favorite such as sourdough or whole wheat! Just make sure it’s around 16 oz. of bread.
- Banana – we don’t recommend subbing the banana, but if you must this French toast casserole would still be equally as delicious without it!
How to Make an Easy French Toast Bake
Now that we know what we need for this tasty oven baked French toast, it’s time to get cookin’. First and foremost, you’re going to want to find yourself a casserole dish that is around 10-inches by 7-inches. If you can’t find one that exact size, no fear, use something relatively close! Do note that if you use a bigger one, you’ll likely need to decrease the cook time and if you use a smaller one you will likely need to increase your bake time. Also, use a Pyrex or ceramic casserole dish instead of a metal cake pan because those insulate and cook more well-rounded.
Step 1: Whisk Liquid Ingredients
Begin by whisking together eggs, peanut butter, almond milk, maple syrup, and cinnamon. I like to use a 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup because it’s easy to pour.
Step 2: Prep Bread and Banana
Slice a loaf of bread into small squares. We usually do 3 x 3 cuts down the bread to get 9 squares per piece of bread. Place on the bottom of a greased casserole dish. Then, add sliced banana and mix.
Step 3: Add Liquid to Bread
Pour the egg mixture on top of bread and use your hands to fully submerge bread chunks into the liquid. Make sure that everything is nice as coated.
Step 4: Bake
Cover with tin foil and bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes. Then uncover and cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until the French Toast Bake is firm in the middle.
Step 5: Slice and Serve
Let French toast casserole cool for about 10 minutes and then slice into 8 pieces. Option to eat as is or top with a drizzle of peanut butter, more bananas, and some maple syrup!
How to Make an Overnight French Toast Bake
Since lots of people love preparing overnight French toast bakes, I thought it would be a good idea to give that as an option! You can totally turn this recipe into an overnight French toast bake by preparing as is, minus mixing in the fresh banana. We suggest waiting to mix this in (or even just topping) right before baking. So, scroll down to the recipe card and wait to do step #4 until the morning. When you’re ready to bake, add the nanner, mix, and bake.
Other French Toast Bake Recipes
- Maple Pecan Overnight French Toast Bake
- Instant Pot Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip French Toast Cups
Peanut Butter Banana French Toast Bake
- First, preheat oven to 350ºF. Generously spray a 10-inch x 7-inch casserole dish* with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, peanut butter, almond milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and salt. The peanut butter won't completely dissolve, but whisk until it's broken up and somewhat combined. Set aside.
- Then, slice an entire loaf of bread into bite-sized squares (3x3). Place bread on the bottom of your dish.
- Slice 1 large banana and toss with bread chunks.
- Then, pour on egg mixture. Use your hands to submerge bread chunks into the liquid until everything is combined.
- Cover with tin foil and bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes. Then uncover and cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until the French Toast Bake is firm in the middle.
- Let French toast bake cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing into 6 servings. Serve with more sliced banana, a drizzle of peanut butter, and maple syrup.
Tips & Notes
- If you’re using a bigger casserole dish (such as a 9×13-inch), you’ll likely need to reduce the bake time by 5-10 minutes.
- Nutrition information does not include toppings.