Are you ready for the easiest and most delicious grilled pesto chicken skewers? All you need are 2 simple ingredients to make this recipe for pesto chicken on the grill.
Pesto Chicken on the Grill
This grilled chicken recipe is able to blow your mind because all you need is 2 simple ingredients — chicken breast and pesto! Now, you can use store-bought pesto or homemade, the choice is yours!
Plus, to make things more festive, we’re skewering the chicken for cute little kebabs that make for the perfect main or appetizer.
What You Need
Like we mentioned, you can’t get more basic than pesto chicken on the grill! 2 ingredients is all you need.
- Chicken breast: we recommend using boneless, skinless chicken breast, but boneless thighs will work too.
- Pesto: we’ve got 2 delicious homemade pesto recipes for you to try – basil pesto and kale pesto. Or, if you’re in a rush, you can use store-bought jarred pesto, too.
How to Make Grilled Pesto Chicken Skewers
For the full recipe, scroll down to the recipe card for a list of ingredients and instructions.
Slice the chicken into 1-inch pieces and then transfer it into a medium bowl.
Drizzle on the pesto and toss to fully coat the chicken. Let marinate for 30-minutes ot 2 hours.
Skewer the chicken pieces onto wooden or metal skewers.
Place tin foil on the grill and place the chicken onto the tin foil. Grill for over medium/high heat for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature is 160ºF to 165ºF.
Chicken internal temp
According to the USDA, the safe cooking temperature for poultry is 165ºF.
Let rests: Remember that after cooking chicken let it rest for 5 minutes so that the internal temperature can continue to rise around 5ºF.
Grilled Pesto Chicken Skewers
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ½ cup of homemade pesto or any kind of pesto
- Preheat the grill to medium/high heat — around 375ºF.
- Next, prep chicken by slicing it into 1 to 1.5 inch chunks. Transfer diced chicken into a large bowl.
- Pour pesto into the bowl and toss the chicken until coated. Transfer the bowl into the fridge and let marinate for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Slide the chicken pieces onto skewers. You’ll be able to make 5-6 skewers.
- Place a piece of tin foil onto the grill grates and spray with cooking spray. Grill at 375ºF for about 15-20 minutes flipping the skewers every 5-8 minutes. Cook until the internal temperature is 160ºF to 165ºF.
Tips & Notes
- Baking instructions: bake at 375ºF for 15-20 minutes.
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Erin from The Wooden Skillet.