Put all that garden-fresh basil to good use with this healthy homemade pesto recipe that seriously only takes 5 minutes to make. Whip up a batch for your next seasonal dish, or triple a batch and keep in your freezer to have on hand whenever you need it! Making healthy pesto has never been easier.
Did you know, in order to make the best pesto ever all you need is a food processor, 5 ingredients, and 5 minutes?! We’re serious.
If we had to suggest one small kitchen appliance to invest in, it would definitely be a food processor, hands down! Here’s the food processor we have in the Fit Foodie Finds kitchen. Just think of all the amazingness you’ll be able to make, including:
Fit Foodie Finds Top Food Processor Recipes
- Nut Butters
- Creamy Tomato Basil Vegan Pasta
- Peanut Butter Energy Bars
- Peanut Butter Brownie Balls
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Soft Serve
- Homemade Roasted Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce
- Sweet Potato Hummus
- Skinny Roasted Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Dip
- Peanut Butter Protein Bars
- Sriracha Almond Butter Dip
- Lemon Garlic Hummus
The list goes on. And includes homemade PESTO! One of our go-to sauces, marinades and dips, especially when we can get it fresh and local in the summer in Minnesota. Now let’s get into how EASY this pesto recipe is to make.
How to Make Homemade Pesto
- Fresh basil
- olive oil
- Garlic (preferably fresh, but you can definitely use pre-minced if it’s all you have on hand)
- Pine nuts
- Parmesan (optional as well, but you know how much we love cheese over here)
Then you just whip it up in your food processor. And whip some more. And a bit more until you get your desired consistency. For some pasta sauces, we prefer a finer pesto, but with a marinade, it’s nice to have a little bit bigger chunks. Again, totally your call!
And viola. You’ve got pesto in just 5 minutes, mis amigos!
- 1 cup packed basil leaves, fresh
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Place all ingredients into a small food processor and process for about a minute, or until all ingredients have pureed together.
- If your pesto is too thick, add more olive oil by the teaspoon.
Tips & Notes
- Feel free to double or triple this recipe if you are using this pesto for another recipe or if you have a bigger food processor!
Keywords: homemade pesto, pesto