This Cauliflower Fried Rice recipe is a delicious low carb alternative to traditional fried rice. Packed with veggies and a super flavorful sauce, plus it’s easy to make. Enjoy!
Let’s Make Low Carb Fried Rice
Big fried rice lover? US TOO! We love our cauliflower rice recipe, so we decided to jazz things up a notch or two and use it to create this super flavorful, veggie-packed cauliflower fried rice.
What is Cauliflower Rice?
Cauliflower rice (also known as cauliflower couscous or riced cauliflower) is raw cauliflower that has been processed in a food processor or high-speed blender creating rice shaped cauliflower.
Why Make Cauliflower Fried Rice?
- Cauliflower rice is a great low-carb substitute for rice or couscous in many dishes, and that is especially true of this fried rice!
- Cauliflower rice is naturally gluten-free, vegetarian, and low carb.
- Cauliflower rice is high in fiber and low in fat.
- This cauliflower fried rice is veggie-packed.
How to Make Cauliflower Fried Rice
Start by Making Cauliflower Rice
The first steps of this cauliflower fried rice recipe require you to make your cauliflower rice. We’ll be using this riced cauliflower as a white or brown rice alternative traditionally found in fried rice recipes.
don’t have time to make your own cauliflower rice?
Looking for a time-saving hack? Just buy already riced cauliflower! Most grocery stores sell either raw or frozen cauliflower rice.
PREPARE THE CAULIFLOWER
The first thing you have to do is prepare the cauliflower to go into the food processor. You can use any size cauliflower, but remember the bigger the cauliflower the more cauliflower rice you will have.
You want to cut off all the green leaves off of the cauliflower, but you can process the trunk of the cauliflower, it will also turn into cauliflower rice.
Chop the cauliflower into medium/large pieces and place them in the food processor.
PROCESS CAULIFLOWER IN A FOOD PROCESSOR
Once you have placed the cauliflower in the food processor, cover the food processor and pulse the cauliflower on high until the cauliflower processes into small rice pieces.
Be sure not to process the cauliflower into a paste!
REMOVE MOISTURE FROM THE CAULIFLOWER
Once the cauliflower is processed it’s time to remove the moisture from the cauliflower rice so that you don’t end up with mush when you prepare your cauliflower rice.
To draw the moisture out of the cauliflower rice, line a large tea towel or cheese cloth. Place the cauliflower rice in the cheese cloth and sprinkle the cauliflower rice with salt.
Mix the cauliflower rice with the salt and let the cauliflower rice sit for 15 minutes. The salt will help to draw any moisture from the cauliflower.
Once the cauliflower rice has sat, twist the top of the tea towel and squeeze moisture from the cauliflower rice allowing the moisture to drip into the bowl below.
Now your cauliflower rice is ready to make into cauliflower fried rice!
Time to Prepare Cauliflower Fried Rice
PREPARE SKILLET AND SAUTE CAULIFLOWER RICE
Begin by heating a large skillet pan over medium/high heat. Then, add olive oil.
When olive oil is fragrant, add the cauliflower rice to the pan and spread it out all over the skillet. Let the cauliflower sauté for 2-3 minutes without moving it around. This will help your cauliflower rice start to brown.
Then, use a spatula to move the cauliflower rice around and brown the rest of the cauliflower rice for another 2 minutes.
ADD VEGETABLES TO CAULIFLOWER RICE
Add the corn, edamame, red pepper, and 2 green onions (you’ll use the rest later!) to the pan and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
MAKE FRIED RICE SAUCE
While the vegetables are cooking, mix the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and fish sauce together into a bowl, and then set it aside.
TIME TO ADD AND SCRAMBLE EGGS
Create a pocket in the middle of your pan by moving the rice and veggies to the edges. Then, crack two eggs into the well and scramble with a fork. Cook the eggs for about a minute, and then mix with the rest of the veggies in the pan.
ADD SAUCE AND TOPPINGS
Finally, add the soy sauce mixture to the pan. Mix all of the ingredients together and cook everything for 4-5 minutes.
Top your fried rice with the remaining green onions and chopped cashews, and ENJOY!
How to Store Cauliflower Fried Rice
Store your cauliflower rice in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Just be sure it is room temperature before you place it in the fridge. It will last 2-3 days.
How to Freeze Cauliflower Fried Rice
Cauliflower fried rice is a great recipe to freeze. Here’s how:
- After you have processed the raw cauliflower rice, place it in a freezer-safe ziploc bag or air-tight container. Add the remaining raw vegetables to the bag, and seal tightly.
- Place the container in the freezer and freeze for up to 3 months.
To Prepare: Once you’re ready to make your fried rice, simply remove the bag from the freezer, and follow recipe instructions starting at step 1 of the cauliflower fried rice instructions below.
- 1 large head of cauliflower, riced (~2-3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5-oz. frozen corn
- 5-oz. frozen shelled edamame
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced and separated
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- ¼ cup chopped cashews or peanuts
- First, line a medium sized bowl with a tea towel or cheese cloth. Set aside.
- Chop the cauliflower up into small pieces and place them in a high powered food processor. Be careful not to overfill the food processor. You may need to make the cauliflower in two batches.
- Pulse the cauliflower in the food processor on high until cauliflower turns into small rice sized pieces. Pour the cauliflower rice into the bowl lined with a towel. Repeat this step until all cauliflower pieces have been turned into rice.
- Add a pinch of salt to the cauliflower rice and stir. Let the cauliflower rice sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Finally, twist the top of the tea towel to strain the excess water from the cauliflower rice.
Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Begin by heating a large skillet pan over medium/high heat. Add olive oil.
- When olive oil is fragrant add the cauliflower rice to the pan and spread it out all over the skillet. Let the cauliflower sauté for 2-3 minutes without moving it around, it must start to brown.
- Then, use a spatula to move the cauliflower rice around and brown the rest of the cauliflower rice for another 2 minutes.
- Add the corn, edamame, red pepper, and 2 green onions (you’ll use the rest later) to the pan and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, mix the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and fish sauce together into a bowl. Set aside.
- Create a pocket in the middle of your pan by moving the rice to the edges. Crack two eggs into the well and then scramble with a fork. Cook egg for about a minute and then mix with the rest of the veggies.
- Finally. add in soy sauce mixture to the pan. Mix all of the ingredients together and cook everything for 4-5 minutes and serve!
- Top with the remaining green onions and chopped cashews.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 200 Sugar: 5 Sodium: 732 Fat: 12 Carbohydrates: 12 Fiber: 2 Protein: 9 Cholesterol: 62
Keywords: cauliflower fried rice