Nothing screams a summer dessert like key lime pie. If you are searching for healthy dessert recipes, these Easy Coconut Key Lime bars are absolutely delicious. The crust is made with almond flour and shredded coconut and sweetened with honey. They are a perfect dessert for picnics and barbeques this summer!
Hello, folks! It’s Linley here. Is there anything like Sunday mornings in the summer? Sometimes Sundays can be a hard day because Monday generally means work, but in the summer anything goes for me.
There is just something about summer mornings, (any day) but Sundays seem to be more peaceful. I love getting up early on Sunday mornings and sitting outside with a cup of coffee. It is one of my favorite recharge days. Whoof, just feeling all wishy-washy over here. You know what else would go great with a cup of coffee? These Easy Coconut Key Lime Pie Bars.
Staying on the theme of summertime, these bars scream —> refreshing summer dessert. I mean just LOOK at them! We had so much fun developing this recipe because we created it when it was still snowing in Minnesota (which wasn’t that long ago). It gave us the last bit of hope we needed that summer was right around the corner.
I also thought you should know that we have a full-time taste tester, Marian. She too loved these bars. Marian is the manager of Lee’s building and she is one of our most favorite people. She is honest and more than willing to taste test any sweet treats we throw her way. This key lime pie recipe was one of her favorites. I brought her two bars (one to share with someone) and she literally gobbled them both up while we were chatting. We took that as a very good sign.
We wanted to create a bar that had the flavors of a classic and easy key lime pie recipe. Since we were looking for key limes at the end of winter in Minnesota, we had a bit of a hard time finding them. FYI if you can’t find key limes, normal limes work just fine. Our hope was that the middle of the pie bar would be creamy and tart with a balance of the sweet coconut cookie crust. MUAH, they turned out just as we wanted them to!
Important Key Lime Pie Bar Ingredients
People search healthy desserts more than anything on Fit Foodie Finds, so we are always looking to give classic desserts a healthy twist (enter these key lime pie bars). We sweetened these key lime pie bars with honey and used an almond flour and coconut combination for the crust for all of our gluten-free people out there. Feel free to try whole wheat or white whole wheat flour as a substitute. Most importantly, let us know if you like them!
For the Crust
- 1.5 cups almond flour, superfine
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2.5 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the Filling
- 4 eggs, large
- 1/2 cup key lime juice (normal lime juice works, too!)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 teaspoons coconut flour
- Greek yogurt
- lime zest
- toasted coconut
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line an 8-inch x 8-inch cake pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Prepare the crust by mixing together all ingredients, forming a ball. Transfer dough into pan and use your hands and/or a spatula to spread to the edges of the pan. The key is to make sure the crust is relatively the same thickness all around, so the spatula comes in handy especially for the edges.
- Bake crust for 8 minutes at 350ºF.
- While the crust is baking, prepare filling. Whisk 4 eggs in a medium-size bowl and then add the rest of the ingredients. Whisk again until there are no more coconut flour chunks.
- Once the crust has baked for 8 minutes, remove from oven and pour on filling. Place back in oven and bake for an additional 18-22 minutes.*
- Remove from oven and let sit on the stove top for 10 minutes before transferring into the fridge. Chill for 2 hours before slicing.
- Slice into 16 squares and serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt, lime zest, and toasted coconut.
Tips & Notes
*The bake time for the filling depends on your oven. Keep a close eye on it! If it cracks in the center, don’t worry about it.