Looking for a baked beans recipe that doesn’t take the whole day to make? These Instant Pot baked beans are flavorful, easy to make, and are ready in under an hour!
The FASTEST Baked Bean Recipe
I grew up with my grandma’s delicious baked beans! They were sweet, savory, and so delicious! They were packed with brown sugar and took the whole day to make!
I was craving those baked beans, but just didn’t have the time to spend the whole day making baked beans over the stove, in the slow cooker, and I didn’t want to turn the oven on.
So? This Instant Pot Baked Beans recipe was born! What is so great about these baked beans? Let me tell you!
- We used dried beans instead of canned! Less sodium and no soaking required!
- They are ready in under 1 hour!
- These baked beans taste like grandma’s home cooking!
- BBQ baked beans are a family favorite that can feed a crowd!
How to Make Instant Pot Baked Beans
Before starting this recipe, it is nice to mix, chop, and sort all of the ingredients so you are ready to throw everything in the Instant Pot when the beans are ready!
This sauce is so simple! It is made with tomato sauce, bbq sauce (you’re favorite kind), and classic baked beans dried spices! We also added in a little molasses and. maple syrup to give them the perfect amount of sweetness!
Prepping all the ingredients for these baked beans takes less than 15 minutes, people!
Dried Beans for the Win
The beautiful thing about making baked beans in the Instant Pot is that you don’t have to soak your dried beans!
Usually when you make baked beans you used canned or you have to prep your dried beans by soaking them overnight!
With an Instant Pot dried beans take 20 minutes to cook and then all you have to do is add the rest of your ingredients!
It’s so easy!
Once the white beans are cooked, remove them from the Instant Pot and start creating the base for these delicious beans by cooking down the sausage and the onion!
We LOVE the sauté feature on the Instant Pot because it takes out a whole step of using the stove top to caramelize all the ingredients together. You are going to partially cook down the sausage and then it’s time to cook all the ingredients together!
here’s a tip
Use different types of sausage to change of the flavor of your baked beans! Use a breakfast sausage, spicy sausage, or a maple sausage to sweeten up the bbq bake beans a bit!
Cook Everything Together
After the sausage is ready to go, all that you have to do is add the rest of the ingredients to the Instant Pot and cook everything on high pressure for 3 minutes! Yes, just 3 MINUTES!
Once you have quick released the pressure, let the beans sit for 5-10 minutes to soak up a bit more liquid and you’re all set!
Instant Pot Baked Beans 101
Can you use any dried beans for this recipe?
We only tried this recipe with white navy beans, but feel free to try any dried beans you would like! The cook time may vary a bit depending on what bean you use!
Will canned beans work in this recipe?
Yes, canned beans would work for this recipe! Just skip the white beans cooking steps, strain your canned beans, and add the canned beans to the Instant Pot like in step 5!
Can you freeze Instant Pot baked beans?
Yes, you can freeze baked beans! Let the beans cool completely and then place them in a freezer safe container and freeze them for up to 3 months.
How long do BBQ baked beans last in the fridge?
These BBQ baked beans will last for 3-5 days if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator!
Healthy Side Dishes
- 1 lb. dried navy beans
- 4 cups water or broth (any kind)
BBQ Baked Beans
- 1 cup bean water*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt, separated
- 1/4 cup bourbon or whiskey
- 1 lb. ground breakfast sausage (any kind)
- 1–15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup BBQ Sauce (we used Lillies Smokey BBQ)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Being by adding the dried white beans and broth to the Instant Pot and cook them on high pressure >>20 minutes >> quick release. Then, let the beans sit for 5 minutes in the Instant Pot.
- Before straining the beans, remove 1 cup of the excess liquid from the cooked beans*. Set aside. Then, strain the rest of the liquid from the white beans in a sieve and then set the cooked beans aside.
- Turn on the sauté function and add olive oil to the pot.
- When the olive oil is fragrant, add onion and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the pot. Let the onion cook until it begins to caramelize (about 5-6 minutes).
- Then deglaze the pot with bourbon by pouring the bourbon over the onion. Scrape the sides of the pot with a spatula to remove all the crunchy bits from the pot.
- Add the ground sausage to the pot and cook the sausage until it is no longer pink.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the Instant Pot and mix everything together.
- Cover the Instant Pot. Set the Instant Pot to >> high pressure >> 3 minutes >> quick release.
- Stir the beans and let them sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/8 Calories: 358 Sugar: 11 Fat: 19 Carbohydrates: 27 Fiber: 9 Protein: 17
Keywords: Instant Pot Baked Beans