We are obsessed with this Instant Pot Sticky Rice. When we need sticky rice fast and perfectly cooked, we make it in the Instant Pot. It’s ready in under 15 minutes, can you believe it?
We are all rice lovers here on FFF (especially Lee). Our friend Pachee taught us how to make sticky rice with her family a few years ago; we love that method! This sticky rice recipe is for those who need sticky rice in a pinch and who are all about their Instant Pot.
What I Need for Instant Pot Sticky Rice
All you need for this sticky rice is an Instant Pot and long-grain glutinous. We love the Apple Brand Sweet Rice, but any type of sweet rice or glutinous rice will do.
Get our Top 10 5-Star Recipes!
Join our email list for new recipes and BONUS: get our top 10 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ recipes e-book!
Substitues & Variations
There are not many substitutions or variations you can make to this recipe. We do not recommend substituting any other type of rice for the glutinous sweet rice.
A common assumption is that Jasmine rice can be substituted and though this method will work to cook the jasmine rice, it will not turn out sticky.
Tips for Instant Pot Sticky Rice
- Be sure to rinse the rice.
- The measurements for this recipe are crucial for cooking the rice perfectly.
- We do not recommend adding any oil or butter to the pot before cooking. It will keep your rice from being sticky.
If you get a ‘burn notice’
The dreaded burn notice. If you get the burn notice while making this sticky rice, that means that the water has burned up and there is not enough liquid. If that happens, release pressure from the Instant Pot. Sometimes the rice will be done, if not add about 1/4 cup water, stir, and cook for an additional 1 minute.
Instant Pot Duo
Looking for a new pressure cooker? Check out 6 Qt. the Instant Pot Duo. It’s the one we use and love!
Let the rice cool completely before storing it in an airtight container. It will last 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
To reheat the rice you can reheat it in the microwave or in a steamer.
You can freeze sticky rice. Let the rice cool completely before transferring it to an airtight and freezer-safe container. Freeze it for up to 3 months.
Email Me this Recipe
Share your email, and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus, enjoy weekly doses of recipe inspiration as a bonus!
"*" indicates required fields
Instant Pot Sticky Rice
- 2 cups sweet rice we used Apple Brand Sweet Rice
- 2 cups water
- Prepare the sticky rice. Rinse the rice under cold water in a fine sieve for 2-3 minutes or until the water runs clear.
- Transfer the rice to the Instant Pot and cover the rice with 2 cups of water and stir.
- Cook the rice on high pressure for 4 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 8 minutes and then quick release the rest of the pressure. Be sure the ‘keep warm’ setting is off to prevent burning or the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Fluff the rice and then transfer it to a separate large bowl.* Place the rice in the fridge to cool for later.
Tips & Notes
- Do not add oil to the sticky rice. It will prevent the rice from sticking.
- If the rice still has a bite to it after releasing the pressure, quickly cover the rice and let it sit for 2-3 minutes or until ready.