Got 15 minutes? Make this high protein, low carb Healthy Kung Pao Shrimp for an epic combination of flavors and a delicious healthy meal. No need to get takeout Kung Pao Shrimp when you can make your own healthy version at home.
FFF’s Kung Pao Chicken has always been a fan favorite. Rightfully so, I mean that shit is amazing…I make it all the time! I feel like over the last year I’ve made it in so many different ways: with ground chicken, beef, vegetarian, shrimp…you name it, I’ve done it. My favorite kung pao variation is definitely with the addition of shrimp and peppers. You get your veggies + meat + it’s super high in protein!
FFF’s kung pao sauce is legit.
Here’s what you need:
Really you can use our kung pao sauce on top of any protein + veggie combo. Options are endless…but here are some ideas:
- Ground chicken + broccoli
- Tofu + peapods
- Beef + bok choy
I say get whatever is on sale slash whatever you’re craving. That’s the beauty of stir-fry, people!
What is Kung Pao Shrimp?
Kung Pao Shrimp is a spicy Asian dish that is traditionally made with hot chili peppers, soy sauce, other spices, and shrimp.
Our Kung poa shrimp recipe is easier to make than the traditional recipe and calls for more basic ingredients that you probably already have in your own kitchen. Like we mentioned above, our kung pao sauce is made with sriracha, soy sauce, red chili paste, and honey. The honey brings the heat down a notch and the red chili paste is used in place of traditional whole red chilis. You’re also going to need shrimp, peppers, and onions to complete this recipe.
How to thicken Kung Pao Sauce
While our recipe doesn’t call for a thickening agent like corn starch, feel free to add a few teaspoons if you like your sauce thick and gooey.
I served this dish with white sticky rice because it’s THE BEST AND YOU KNOW IT. Usually, I go for short-grain brown rice or quinoa, but I went big this time! There’s seriously something about white sticky rice that you can’t beat. Ah. May. Zing.
Kung Pao Recipes
- Healthy Kung Pao Chicken
- Healthy Kung Pao Chicken Meatballs
- Kung Pao Quinoa Bowls
- Best Kung Pao Recipes
For the Sauce
- 2 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce OR tamari
- 2 tablespoon sriracha
- 2 tablespoon chili paste
- 1/4 cup honey
For the Kung Pao Shrimp
- 1 pound large tail-off shrimp, precooked
- 1/2 red onion, diced into strips
- 1 yellow pepper, large, diced
- 1 green pepper, large, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Sauce
- First, prep the kung pao sauce by mixing together soy sauce, sriracha, chili paste, and honey. Set aside. Note: You may have leftover sauce depending on how saucy you like your stir fry.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium/high heat. Then, add in onion, yellow pepper, green pepper, and minced garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until onion starts to become translucent.
- Add shrimp and continue to sauté for about 3-5 more minutes, until shrimp has cooked down a bit.
- Drain as much liquid as possible from from the pan and then add in sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve on top of white sticky rice, brown rice, or quinoa.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 Calories: 273 Sugar: 19 Fat: 8 Carbohydrates: 25 Fiber: 12.2 Protein: 25
Keywords: Kung Pao Shrimp