Shredded Chicken for Every Meal!
Shredded chicken is such a great meal-prep staple. We often cook and then shred enough chicken for the week’s lunches and then season and pair them with something different each day.
Think shredded BBQ chicken + sautéed broccoli + rice; shredded curry chicken + sautéed pea pods + quinoa; shredded chicken with fajita seasoning + sautéed peppers and onions + avocado + a tortilla!
You get the drill. And now that we’re able to make Instant Pot shredded chicken, it’s a real game changer. Ready in under 15 minutes (including the shredding), and truly a one-pot endeavor. We place the raw chicken right in the Instant Pot before seasoning with salt and pepper, and then shred the cooked chicken in the Instant Pot before serving any way you like.
Instant Pot chicken breast couldn’t be easier and more convenient. The trick was figuring out a perfect cook time and we’ve done it. Check out all of our tips for shredded chicken breast recipes in the Instant Pot (as well as some of our most favorite Instant Pot recipes!) below!
Everything You Need To Know
Frozen or Fresh Chicken?
You can cook fresh or frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot! Believe it or not, chicken breasts turn out the same whether you use frozen or fresh chicken breasts.
The only difference is how you cook it and what your cook time is. Why would you ever use frozen chicken breast in the Instant Pot? Think of those nights when you get home and realize you haven’t planned dinner!
All you have to do is remove frozen chicken from its packaging and cook it on high pressure for 12 minutes. While the frozen chicken breast is cooking, you prepare a side and a sauce for your chicken and BOOM. 12 minutes later your chicken is ready to be chunked or shredded!
Use enough liquid.
The last thing you want is to get a burn notice on your Instant Pot. A burn notice happens when there isn’t enough liquid in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Every Instant Pot is different (burn notices are more common in older versions).
If you don’t have enough liquid in the bottom of the Instant Pot, it may burn the bottom of the Instant
Flavor options are endless.
Before you shred the chicken, you always want to flavor your chicken! If you are planning to shred chicken and toss it with a sauce, sprinkling the chicken breast with salt and pepper would be just fine!
If you are feeling more flavorful chicken, try one of these delicious dry rubs! Sprinkle a couple os teaspoons of any of the dry rubs below on the chicken breast (be sure it’s fully coated) and cook it according to the recipe.
Can I overcook chicken in the Instant Pot?
Yes, it is possible to overcook chicken in an Instant Pot because you are unable to check the temperature of the chicken throughout the cook time!
Be sure to cook the Instant Pot chicken for the full time and then check and see if it needs more time!
How do I shred Chicken?
Shredding chicken is actually very easy! When the chicken is done cooking, take to forks and gently pull the chicken apart until the chicken is fully shredded!
Shredded Chicken Recipes
Don’t have an Instant Pot yet (GET ONE NOW, my friends!) and want to make shredded chicken tonight? Here are some of our favorite healthy crock pot recipes to tide you over :)
- How to Make Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- 5 Ingredient Honey Sriracha Slow Cooker Chicken
- Clean Eating Crock Pot Chicken Taco Bowls
- Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Chicken
- Crock Pot Chicken Salsa Tacos
- Thai Peanut Chicken Salad
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Recipe
How to Make Shredded Chicken in the Instant Pot
Wondering how to make shredded chicken in the Instant Pot? Look no further! This easy shredded chicken in the Instant Pot recipe is ready in only 8 minutes, and will easily become a meal-prep staple in your home. Season with your favorite spices or sauce and you’ll be on your way to an easy and delicious meal.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup broth or water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Pour water on the bottom of your Instant Pot before adding chicken breasts to the Instant Pot.
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Close Instant Pot and make sure the pressure gauge is turned to ‘seal’. Set pressure to manual, high pressure and set the timer for 8 minutes. Pressure will build and then the timer will start.
- When the timer goes off, quick release the Instant Pot by turning pressure gauge to ‘vent’. When pressure releases shred chicken breast in the Instant Pot and serve any way you like.
- If Instant Pot flashes the word ‘burn,’ quick release, add an additional tablespoon of water, and reset it. The reason your Instant Pot is probably flashing the word burn is because it needs more moisture. Read more about it HERE.
- This recipe is for 2-3 medium-sized chicken breasts, not one massive 1 lb. chicken breast. Cook time will vary depending on the size of your chicken breasts. The larger the breast, the longer it will take to cook.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 170
- Sugar: 0
- Fat: 10
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 22