This southwest chicken salad recipe combines shredded chicken, a creamy southwest dressing, black beans, sweet corn, and cilantro for the ultimate healthy lunch.
Our classic Greek yogurt chicken salad recipe is a staple in our house and this chicken salad recipe is a spin-off of that. Keep reading to learn how to make it.
Veggie-Packed Southwest Chicken Salad
Love chicken salad, but wish it had more veggies? You’ve come to the right place! This southwest chicken salad recipe is truly veggie-packed. In addition to shredded chicken, this chicken salad features:
- sweet corn
- red pepper
- black beans
- red onion
All About the Creamy Southwestern Chicken Salad Dressing
Once you’ve got all of your main ingredients together for the southwest chicken salad, it’s time to create your chicken salad sauce.
Classic chicken salad is usually made with mayonnaise, but we decided to up the protein and lower the fat with Greek yogurt. With the addition of lime juice and spices, I promise you won’t miss the mayo! Here’s what you need:
- Plain Greek yogurt
- lime juice
- ground cumin
- chili powder
- Hot sauce
If you don’t love heat, feel free to swap the hot sauce for a little bit of apple cider vinegar. In addition, if you don’t have Greek yogurt, but you do have plain regular yogurt…you can totally use that too.
How to Serve Southwest Chicken Salad
There are so many different ways that you can serve this creamy, delicious salad. Check out some of our favs!
- On toast: drizzle some olive oil on a piece of whole-grain toasted bread and then top it with this salad. Then, add sliced avocado and a drizzle of hot sauce to the top and you’re ready to rock!
- In a Jar: place a handful of romaine on the bottom of a mason jar. Then, top that with this southwestern chicken salad. Place the top on and take this lunch to-go!
- Bento Box: Turn this southwest chicken salad into a wrap and then serve it with your favorite chips and salsa served inside of a bento box!
- Solo: Grab a bowl and a fork and eat it as is. We suggest serving it with a fresh squeeze of lime juice and a half an avocado for #allthehealthyfats.
To store southwest chicken salad, transfer it into an airtight container and seal. Store in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
Southwest Chicken Salad
- 1 lb. shredded chicken
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1 cup can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup red onion finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 medium red pepper diced
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vinegar-based hot sauce
- Place shredded chicken, sweet corn, black beans, red onion, fresh cilantro, and red pepper into a large bowl. Mix and set aside.
- Create the sauce by mixing together Greek yogurt, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, salt, and hot sauce.
- Add sauce to the shredded chicken mixture and mix until combined.