Save time and cook healthy simultaneously with this easy video tutorial on how to make slow cooker shredded chicken. Plus, we’re sharing 4 of the best ways to spice up your crockpot shredded chicken.
My life changed the day I learned how easy it was to make slow cooker shredded chicken. Plop your chicken breast right into your favorite slow cooker, add some olive oil (or none at all), cover it, and let er’ cook! It’s easy enough where anyone, I mean anyone, can learn how to make shredded chicken in the crock pot! We’re talking…
- college kids
- single ladies and guys
- and even kids!
Over at Fit Foodie HQ we’ve actually been exploring more ways to cook chicken other than the classic stovetop, grill, oven, and slow cooker. We just got 2 amazing new gadgets: Instant Pot and a Sous Vide! We haven’t quite mastered these forms of cooking like the slow cooker, but are very excited to start sharing more recipes featuring these cooking methods.
Best Slow Cooker
Back to the slow cooker. If you’re in the market for a new slow cooker, here’s the one we have —> Hamilton Beach Programmable Slow Cooker. We have a 6-quart one, which comes in handy when you’re cooking for a crowd. I 100% suggest you go bigger than you think knowing that you’ll likely want to make food for the masses in your crock pot. They’re all roughly the same price, so you might as well upgrade!
Today I wanted to go back to the basics are share, in my opinion, the best way to shred chicken! In addition to sharing a super simple, basic slow cooker shredded chicken recipe (scroll down), we’re also sharing 4 recipes to spice up your shredded chicken! The more flavor the better.
First, I have two very important tips in getting super juicy, flavorful shredded chicken: 1. heat and 2. time. The cooler and slower you cook your chicken, the more tender it will be. This is why we suggest cooking your chicken breast on low for 6-8 hours instead of on how. However, if you’re last minute like me and usually cook your chicken breast on high for 2-3 hours, that’s okay too, it just may not be as fall apart as our suggest method!
Now, let’s go over some slow cooker shredded chicken FAQ’s:
- How long to cook chicken in crock pot you may ask? If you’re using boneless, skinless chicken breast, we suggest 6-8 hours on low or 2-3 hours o nhigh.
- What slow cooker do you have? We have a 6-quart Hamilton Beach Programmable Slow Cooker and LOVE it.
- Can I put shredded chicken in the freezer? Yes, you can! Just make sure you fully cool your shredded chicken before transferring it into a freezer-safe gallon-size bag. Squeeze all of the air completely out of the bag, seal it, and place in freezer.
- How do you cook chicken to be shredded? While there are many ways to do this, we prefer cooking the chicken in a slow cooker because it’s easy and mess free! Just read our tutorial below.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ~1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)*
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place chicken breast inside of your slow cooker. Then, drizzle on olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 2-3 hours.
- Remove from slow cooker and then shred with 2 forks.
- Flavor with one of the recipes listed in this post.
Tips & Notes
- I’ve cooked my chicken without olive oil before because chicken creates it’s own moisture inside of the slow cooker without it. However, olive oil will help it be more tender.
- If you’re looking to get max flavor, you can add the other ingredients for the particular recipe you’re making from the start.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 Calories: 230 Sugar: 0 Fat: 15 Carbohydrates: 0 Fiber: 0 Protein: 25
Keywords: Slow cooker shredded chicken
Now that you know the basics of getting perfect slow cooker shredded chicken every time, we’d like to share our 4 favorite recipes to make the most out of flavor and creativity! Check it out, frands!
Are you ready for the easiest crockpot shredded chicken tacos on the planet? All you need are 4 ingredients and a slow to get the tenderest and most flavorful shredded chicken tacos EVER!
All you need are 5 ingredients to make this delicious, clean-eating slow cooker honey sriracha chicken that’s made with REAL food. Cook up a batch of brown rice and your favorite veggie to complete this Asian-style meal.
Get your meal prep on with these delicious Hawaiian Chicken Noodles Bowls made with crockpot shredded chicken, tons of veggies, and rice noodles!
Put a healthy, creative twist on classic chicken salad by using a Greek yogurt and peanut butter base with tons of crunchy veggies and peanuts. This Thai Peanut Chicken Salad is a great meal-prep recipe!
PS: we have so many other slow cooker shredded chicken recipes on FFF. Check them out below!