This healthy, superfood-packed dinner only requires 1 dish and 60 minutes of your time. No need to pre-cook the quinoa or sauté any veggies!
Have you ever randomly stumbled upon a blog via Pinterest and found yourself completely consumed in everything it has to offer? I officially have a blog crush on Kristina from Love and Zest. Major swoon. I think I went through at least a years worth of recipes and pinned them all 😀 #oops
L&Z is actually who inspired me to make this dish. She made a Sun-Dried Tomato, Kale, and Chicken Sausage Pasta Bake and I knew that’s what I wanted for dinner. I made a bunch of substitutions like quinoa instead of pasta, no cheese or mushrooms, and a different kind of sauce. She still deserves the credit for sparking my interest in these flavor combos.
Since I’ve been a full-time food blogger for almost a year now, I do everything in my power to dirty one less dish. Let me tell you, the dishes can PILE UP QUICKLY.
My favorite kind of recipes are those that only use 1 pot/dish. This recipe for instance, literally uses 1 dish. No pot or pans involved. All you do, is throw everything into a casserole dish, stick it in the oven, and cross your fingers things taste good.
I did go back and forth if I should use precooked chicken sausages or uncooked. I went precooked because that’s what’s most readily available and convenient. I used the Target Archer Farm’s Brand, but I know Gold n’ Plump makes some stellar ones as well (I believe those are uncooked).
Here’s what the bake looked like uncooked (on the left) and cooked (on the right).
I was a little worried the kale was going to turn into kale chips, but they wilted down nicely. Also- if you know me, you know I HATE COOKED GREENS. I actually didn’t mind this AT ALL. #imabigkidnow
- 1 cup quinoa, soaked and rinsed, uncooked
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, julienne cut
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (I used the olive oil from the sun-dried tomato jar)
- 2 stalks of kale, de-stalked and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 5 chicken sausages, fully cooked and sliced into bit-sized pieces
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- fresh basil, to taste
- First, preheat oven to 350ºF. Then, place quinoa and chicken broth at the bottom of a large casserole dish.
- Prep kale, by de-stalking and chopping into bite-sized pieces. Evenly spread on top of quinoa.
- Then, sprinkle on about ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes (I used the julienne cut kind) and ¼ cup chopped red onion on top of kale. Then, drizzle on 1 tablespoon of olive oil (I used the olive oil straight from the sun-dried tomato jar).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and about 1 teaspoon of garlic salt.
- Finally, chop 5 fully cooked chicken sausages into bite-sized pieces and spread evenly on top of bake.
- Place in oven at 350ºF for about 60 minutes or until the quinoa is fully cooked.
- Let cook for 5-10 minutes and serve with fresh basil.
If you are a cheese lover, I suggest mozzarella. I opted no cheese because I love how the colors look in this bake and I didn’t want to hide them under a mound of cheese.
Seriously, I could eat this all day erry day. These flavors are my jam. I especially loved the sun-dried tomatoes. It was my first time making anything with them and Mmmmm did they add some fabulous flavor. If you are having a hard time finding sun-dried tomatoes, you can usually find them in the produce section. I purchased my julienne sliced and jarred in olive oil.