Whip up this healthy vegan Mexican quinoa and sweet potato casserole for the best meal prep recipe that can feed an army! It is made up of pantry staples, root vegetables, and all of our favorite ingredients!
So many times do I look in my cabinets and think…”I have nothing to eat.” Let that NEVER happen again with this Mexican Quinoa Sweet Potato Casserole!
We Love Pantry Staple Meals!
One thing we really love about this quinoa casserole is that we usually have everything we need to make this recipe in our pantry already. And you probably do, too!
What makes a good pantry staple you ask? Ingredients that have a long shelf life in your pantry and ingredients that YOU LIKE! We usually have a variety of beans, quinoa, salsa, canned vegetables, marinara sauce, tomato sauce.
This Mexican sweet potato quinoa casserole is one of our favorite go-to recipes because it is packed with all of our favorite things!
Here are the Ingredients You Need
Let’s break down all the delicious ingredients in this casserole!
Sweet Potatoes- Sweet potatoes are not only packed with nutrients, but they are a pantry vegetable. Sweet potatoes can last a couple of months if they are stored in a cool, dark place!
Having sweet potatoes on hand insures that you can make meals like this quinoa casserole whenever you’re craving it!
Quinoa- Quinoa is a complete protein and adds a significant amount of protein to this meatless dish! And? You don’t have to cook the quinoa separate, it cooks perfectly mixed with all of the other ingredients and baked to perfection!
Onion- Along with the sweet potato, onion adds another vegetable to this recipe along with a delicious crunch!
Black Beans- The black beans in this casserole add a great “meaty” texture and add another dose of protein to this casserole!
Broth- Broth is the cooking liquid for this casserole! Your quinoa needs the broth to cook. We like to use broth instead of water because it adds just the right amount of flavor!
Salsa- Salsa is the secret ingredient of this quinoa casserole! Any salsa you decide to use will add an extra boost of flavor. Feel free to use your favorite salsa to make this casserole your own!
Diced Tomatoes- Diced tomatoes add another layer of sauciness to this recipe.
Green Chilis- Nothing adds flavor to a Mexican inspired dish like green chilis!
DIY Taco Seasoning- We always have a jar of our DIY taco seasoning in our spice cupboard! It’s perfect for recipes like this!
Changes You Can Make to this Recipe
- Feel free to swap sweet potatoes out for any white potato!
- Beans are beans! We prefer black beans in this recipe, but pinto beans or garbanzo beans would also be delicious!
- Not a fan of quinoa? Use minute rice instead! Replace the 1 cup of quinoa with 1.5 cups of minute rice!
- Feel free to add a sweet pepper or two to this recipe! Chop them up into chunks and add them right in!
Quinoa Casserole Recipes
- Asian Stuffed Pepper Steak Quinoa Casserole
- Sweet Potato Green Curry Casserole
- Meat Lovers Pizza Quinoa Casserole
- Broccoli and Cheese Quinoa Casserole
- Naked Spinach Quinoa Lasagna Casserole
Watch How to Make this Recipe
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 1 12-oz. jar of salsa
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 4-oz. can green chilis
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans
- 3 tablespoons DIY taco seasoning
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Optional toppings: cilantro, avocado, and lime
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and spray a large casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place all ingredients into the casserole dish and mix well. Cover with tin foil and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, stir, recover with tin foil, and place back in the oven for 40 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes, covered, before serving.
- Serve with cilantro, avocado, and lime juice.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 313 Sugar: 7 Fat: 2 Carbohydrates: 60 Fiber: 14 Protein: 14
Keywords: quinoa casserole