Add some nutrition to the classic broccoli and cheese casserole with this healthy twist! Make this Broccoli and Cheese Quinoa Casserole with just a few ingredients for a wholesome, vegetarian meal.
Ah the casserole. I kid you not, here in Minnesota restaurants have these on the menu…they are everywhere! There is even a place called Haute Dish (aka Casserole) in Minneapolis. So today, I present you a healthier spin on Cheesy Broccoli Casserole fully equipped with quinoa!
Whenever Blake approves a recipe (by getting a second helping) I feel like it is necessary for me to share with you guys. Being that this is gluten free and meat free, I say Blake’s approval gives this a #winning status.
I’d get this on your Thanksgiving menu ASAP. And then save the recipe because you’ll want to make it next year too!
Broccoli, Cheese, n’ Quinoa Casserole
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1/4 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1.5 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1.5 cups 2% milk (or any kind of milk)
- 8 oz. sharp white cheddar cheese, freshly grated, divided
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a casserole dish with coconut oil cooking spray.
- Place quinoa, onion, and broccoli florets on the bottom of your casserole dish. Set aside.
- Next, add milk, chicken broth, and salt into a medium saucepan. Turn to medium-high heat and use a whisk to constantly stir. When liquid is heated, slowly add 4 oz. of grated cheese and whisk until cheese dissolves into the mixture.
- Pour liquid on top of ingredients in casserole dish and stir so that everything combines.
- Cover with tin foil and place in oven at 375ºF for 30 minutes. Remove and stir.
- Sprinkle on the additional 4 oz. shredded cheese and place back in the oven (uncovered) for 15 more minutes.