Love Mac n’ Cheese? Amp up the nutrition and flavor in your homemade mac by using quinoa (so much protein!), sun dried tomatoes, and kale!
I know what you’re thinking.
Thing is, I can’t even disagree with you. This mac n’ cheese recipe trumps every other mac n’ cheese I’ve ever set eyes on. It’s made with all of my favorite flavors (sun dried tomatoes got me like, woh) and is naturally gluten-free. Did I mention it’s thrown together in under 30 minutes? What more could you ask for?
I remember as a kid, I demanded Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and my sister would only eat Velveeta. What did my mom do? She made both. Because that’s literally all we would eat as 4 and 5 year olds. What an amazing woman.
Today I am so glad that I have ditched prepackaged foods and make (mostly) everything from scratch. Why? Because you actually know what you’re eating! As you know, I’ve been working REALLY REALLY hard to eat more veggies, so I decided that kale + sun dried tomatoes in this recipe was a MUST. I almost decided to ditch the mac and eat a big pile of this sautéed deliciousness on its own!
If you’re nervous about making the cheese sauce, DON’T BE! All you need is Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Original Unsweetened + mozzarella cheese + a little corn starch. I love how the almond milk adds a little nuttiness to the sauce. A PERFECT touch.
Speaking of Almond Breeze, I’m pumped to be partnering with them again in 2016! You should check out some of my favorite Almond Breeze recipes from 2015: Healthy Pumpkin Pie Rice Pudding, Paleo Coconut Flour Pancakes, Veggie Frittata. They just launched a new flavor called Almondmilk Cashewmilk Blend and I’m really excited to try it because I’m obsessed with cashew milk. All I can think about is how delicious overnight oats would taste with an almond/cashew blend milk!
Sun Dried Tomato, Kale, and Quinoa Mac n Cheese
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
For the quinoa
- 1.5 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
For the veggies
- 1 8.5 oz. jar of sun dried tomatoes, drained and sliced
- 4 cups of kale, deboned and packed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ~1-2 tablespoons EVOO
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the cheese sauce
- 2 cups Blue Diamond Almond Breeze® Original – Unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
For the Quinoa
- In a medium-size pot bring 1.5 cups of quinoa and 3 cups of vegetable broth to a rolling boil. Then, reduce heat to low and cover. Let cook for about 15 minutes or until all liquid is dissolved, set aside.
For the Veggies
- While the quinoa is cooking, prep veggies. Drain oil from sun dried tomatoes and slice into thirds. Do not rinse! This oil will help the kale cook. Wash and debone kale and then chop into bite sized pieces.
- Place sun dried tomatoes, kale, EVOO, and garlic in a frying pan and sauté for about 5 minutes or until kale is wilted. Set aside.
For the cheese sauce
- Prepare cheese sauce by placing 2 cups of almond milk in a medium-size pot. Add in 2 tablespoons of corn starch, stir, and bring to a boil. Turn down to medium and let cook for about 8 minutes, or until the milk starts to thicken (make sure you stir often!). Add in shredded cheese and mix until smooth.
For the Mac n’ Cheese
- In a large bowl, mix together quinoa, sauteed veggies, and cheese sauce.
- Serving Size: 1/6
- Calories: 298
- Sugar: 7
- Fat: 8
- Protein: 21
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almond Breeze. I was compensated and all opinions are my own. Thank you for your continued support on Fit Foodie Finds!