In this post, we are chatting all things quinoa recipes. We’ll share how to make quinoa in a variety of different methods, teach you how to make our signature quinoa salad recipe, plus we’re rounding up all of the best quinoa recipes on Fit Foodie Finds.
Quinoa has been a staple ingredient in the Fit Foodie Kitchen since the beginning of this website. We use it in salads, casseroles, bowls, and beyond! Today we are sharing all of our best quinoa recipes from FFF and we can’t wait for you to make them all!
Why We Love Quinoa
In addition to its fluffy texture and easy preparation, we love quinoa for a variety of different reasons!
- Acts as a great alternative to rice and cooks just the same
- Quinoa is a complete protein (1 cup of cooked quinoa has 6g protein)
- It can be cooked quickly and easily
- Extremely versatile and can be flavored sweet or savory
- Gluten-free and vegan
- High-protein and high-fiber
How To Cook Quinoa
Before learning how to make delicious recipes with quinoa, we figured we’d share a handful of methods on how to cook quinoa. We have a pretty thorough post on Fit Foodie Finds that gives you the low down on quinoa + all the different ways on how to cook with quinoa.
check it out!
So, check out our “How to Cook Perfect Quinoa” post to learn the ins and outs of quinoa + how to make perfect cooked quinoa perfect every time.
Quinoa is very similar to rice in that you can use a variety of different methods to cook quinoa. Check out some of our tutorials below.
Recipes for Quinoa
quick tip – quinoa to water ratio
A great rule of thumb for cooking quinoa is 1:2 –> for every 1 cup of quinoa, use 2 cups of water. PS: try using chicken broth instead of water for a bit more flavor!
Easy Recipe for Quinoa – Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Now that you know how to cook quinoa in a variety of different methods, we wanted to share our favorite quinoa recipe with you.
Quinoa Salad is one of our favorite things to make because they’re protein packed, can be flavored easily, and easy to make. Here’s what you need for this Mediterranean-inspired quinoa salad recipe.
What You Need
- Uncooked quinoa – feel free to use white, red, or tri-color quinoa.
- Water – option to also use vegetable or chicken broth.
- Garbanzo beans – don’t have chickpeas? Use your favorite bean!
- Cherry tomatoes – you use any kind of tomato for this recipe.
- Red onion – make sure to slice your red onions super thin so you don’t get too much in one bite.
- English cucumber – normal cucumbers work too!
- Kalamata olives – olives add just the right amount of salt to this recipe.
- Fresh mint – the addition of mint gives the right amount of freshness in every bite.
- Feta cheese crumbles – feel free to use a block of feta and crumble your own cheese! PS: to keep this recipe vegan, omit the cheese.
The dressing really makes this salad and the base of it is made with hummus! You really get all the Mediterranean flavors from this dressing and you only need 5 ingredients.
- balsamic vinegar
- lemon juice
- kalamata olive juice
Once you’ve cooked your quinoa, sliced your veggies, and made the dressing, all you have to do is mix everything together! It’s as easy as pie.
Do you eat this salad cold or hot?
We recommend eating this Mediterranean quinoa salad cold. Make sure to chill your quinoa before mixing it with the rest of the salad ingredients.
Store quinoa salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days. We suggested portioning your salad out intofor an easy grab-and-go option during the week.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 15-oz. can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 10-oz. cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, finely sliced
- 1 cup chopped English cucumber, halved
- 3/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 4 oz. feta cheese crumbles
- 6 tablespoons hummus
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon balsamic
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon kalamata olive juice
- First, prepare quinoa by placing quinoa and water into a medium-sized pot. Bring quinoa to a boil over medium-high heat and then turn the burner down to low, cover, and let simmer for 15 minutes or until water has absorbed. Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes before placing in the refrigerator to chill.
- Next, prepare the dressing by placing all ingredients into a jar. Place the lid on the jar and shake to combine. Add water to thin the dressing out, if needed.
- For the salad, place the chilled quinoa into a large bowl and then add the rest of the salad ingredients. Drizzle on all of the dressing and toss to combine.
- Serve chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Storage – store quinoa salad in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 461 Sugar: 7 Fat: 23 Carbohydrates: 49 Fiber: 9 Protein: 16
Keywords: quinoa salad recipes
BEST Recipes with Quinoa
We truly have some of the best quinoa recipes on the internet. We have vegetarian quinoa recipes, vegan quinoa recipes, and then some! So, check out our best quinoa dishes below!
This is the most delicious Strawberry Quinoa Salad made with massaged kale, fresh strawberries, quinoa, cucumber, feta cheese, and a delicious creamy balsamic dressing.
Make this light and refreshing Mexican quinoa salad recipe with ingredients you probably already have on hand! This flavorful Mexican salad is vegan and gluten-free and the perfect vegetarian meal to add to your rotation.
More Quinoa Salads
- Quinoa Tabouli Recipe
- Fresh Caprese Quinoa Salad
- Moroccan Quinoa Salad
- Roasted Brussels Sprout Quinoa Salad
- Golden Roasted Cauliflower Quinoa Salad
Make this Cashew Chicken Quinoa Bake for a high-protein, one-dish meal that the whole family will love! Meal prep at its finest.
Whip up this healthy vegan Mexican quinoa and sweet potato casserole for the best meal prep recipe that can feed an army! It is made up of pantry staples, root vegetables, and all of our favorite ingredients!
More Quinoa Casseroles
- Spinach Quinoa Lasagna Casserole
- Quinoa Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
- Sweet Potato Green Curry Quinoa Casserole
- Tuscan Chicken Quinoa Casserole
- Italian Chicken Sausage Quinoa Casserole
- Chicken Cacciatore Quinoa Casserole
- Chicken Parmesan Quinoa Casserole
Other Recipes with quinoa
The healthy chicken soup that will make you feel better in an instant. Meet our amazing Chicken Quinoa Soup that’s naturally gluten-free, protein-packed, and flavor-filled.
A Thai Coconut Quinoa Bowl recipe that’s a vegetarian’s delight! They’re made with roasted veggies, a delicious slaw, homemade coconut quinoa, and a yummy peanut sauce.