Make this light and refreshing quinoa salad recipe with ingredients you probably already have on hand! This flavorful Mexican salad is vegan and gluten-free and the perfect vegetarian meal to add to your rotation.
Quinoa Salads Rule!
When in doubt make a quinoa salad…who is with me?! I’ve been making quinoa salads since prehistoric Fit Foodie Finds time. I remember when I could buy quinoa in the bulk section for $2.99/lb. because no one knew about it!
Then, one day it hit mainstream and prices tripled. #TBT Don’t you worry, I’m still a fan and obviously still incorporate quinoa (salads) into my nutrition regime on a weekly basis. I do this mostly because it’s healthy, easy to make, and something I almost always have on hand.
Did you know that quinoa is a complete protein? I was just refreshing my memory on what a complete protein is, thank you Greatist and reaffirmed myself that quinoa really is the superfood of all superfoods. So, there are 9 essential amino acids that the body can not produce and a complete protein is when a protein has all 9 amino acids in nearly equal amounts. Sounds confusing, I know, just go with it! If you’re a vegetarian or don’t eat a lot of meat, quinoa needs to be yo jam!
This is actually an older recipe that we recently reinvented. Did a little recipe tweaking, new photos, and bam, you’ve got yourself some delicious Mexican quinoa.
Now, we’ve got a handful of vegan quinoa recipes here on FFF (Golden Roasted Cauliflower Quinoa Salad, Tofu Quinoa Burrito Bowls, and Slow Cooker Mexican Quinoa) and this recipe, in particular, is also vegan. It’s gluten-free and vegetarian, too! Here’s the basis of what cha need!
Mexican Quinoa Salad
- Quinoa, uncooked
- Black beans
- Sweet corn
- Cherry tomatoes
- Red onion
- Mexican vinaigrette
More Vegan Quinoa Recipes
- Slow Cooker Mexican Quinoa
- 10 Healthy Quinoa Recipes
- Kung Pao Quinoa Bowls
- Sweet Potato Green Curry Quinoa Casserole
- Roasted Red Pepper Quinoa Chili
- Banana Quinoa Porridge
- Sweet Potato Vegan Buddha Bowls
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans, rinsed
- 1 15 oz can sweet corn
- 1-pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 large red onion, minced
- 2 large avocados, sliced (for serving)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, fresh
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 lime, juiced (1/4 cup lime juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- pinch of smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- Once quinoa is cooked, place in a large Tupperware and let chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Prepare dressing by placing all ingredients into a mason jar. Put cap on and shake until combined.
- Prepare salad, by mixing together cooked quinoa, black beans, sweet corn, cherry tomatoes, and red onion. Mix until combined. Then, pour on dressing and mix again.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 recipe Calories: 307 Sugar: 4 Fat: 7 Carbohydrates: 35 Fiber: 8 Protein: 9
Keywords: Mexican quinoa salad