Throw all of the ingredients for this Healthy Slow Cooker NC Sweetpotato Mexican Quinoa into your slow cooker for an easy weeknight dinner that’s plant-based and made with pantry staples!
This vegan crock pot recipe is such a delicious and wholesome stay-at-home meal that will last you all week long!
Benefits of North Carolina Sweetpotatoes
Get ready for one of the most delicious one-pot meals you will ever eat. This healthy slow cooker sweet potato Mexican quinoa is one of our favorite slow cooker recipes. It is made with protein-packed quinoa, beans, spices, and, the star of the show, NORTH CAROLINA SWEETPOTATOES.
We are thrilled to be partnering with the NC SweetPotato Commission today because sweet potatoes truly are a staple ingredient in our recipes.
There is no shortage of sweet potato recipes on Fit Foodie Finds, and you will always find us using NC Sweetpotatoes! Did you know that North Carolina is the #1 producer of sweet taters in the nation?
Here are a couple more reasons we love North Carolina sweetpotatoes→
- NC Sweetpotatoes have flavor like no other. Sweet, but slightly savory all at the same time.
- The shelf life of NC sweetpotatoes are amazing! They last up to 2-4 weeks if stored in a cool, dark place.
- NC Sweetpotatoes are easy to incorporate into delicious meals year-round! Roast them, grill them, and even puree them!
- NC Sweetpotatoes are a great ingredient to keep on hand at all times even if you are stuck at home!
The PERFECT Stay-At-Home Recipe
North Carolina sweetpotatoes are the star ingredient of this healthy slow cooker Mexican quinoa recipe! It’s a great recipe for weeknight dinners that’s easy to make and nutrient-packed.
Not to mention all you have to do is throw all of the ingredients into your slow cooker and let the magic happen!
Pantry Staple Ingredients
All of the ingredients in this recipe are shelf-stable, which is one of the reasons we love it so much! This can be the meal you make when “you don’t have anything to make for dinner.” Here’s what you need:
- NC sweetpotatoes
- White quinoa
- Black beans
- Whole kernel corn
- Crushed tomatoes
- Green chilis
- Vegetable broth
- Red onion
- Maple syrup
- Taco seasoning
Easy to Cook
After you have all of the ingredients prepped, rinsed, and ready to go, the rest is simple! You don’t need any pots or pans and all you have to do is mix everything in your slow cooker, set it, and forget it. Ah, what a beautiful thing.
We are big fans of this slow cooker if you are on the market for one.
Meal-Prep Friendly Recipe
Not only is this recipe great for a weeknight dinner, but it is great for meal prep, too. There are a few different ways you can prepare this recipe!
Weekly Meal Prep: Once the Mexican quinoa has fully cooked in the slow cooker, separate it out into your favorite meal prep containers for an easy grab-and-go meal that is already portioned out.
Freezer Meal: If you are hoping to prepare a vegetarian freezer meal, this slow cooker sweet potato Mexican quinoa is an option! All you have to do is pour all of the ingredients into a plastic bag or reusable bag and mix.
Then, remove all of the air from the bag and seal. Label the bag with the date and place it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to cook it, remove it from the freezer, let it thaw completely, and cook it as directed in the recipe.
More NC Sweetpotato Recipes
Watch how to make this video!
Slow Cooker Mexican Quinoa Recipe
Whip up this savory Slow Cooker Mexican Quinoa for a pantry-staple meal that’s also naturally vegan and gluten-free!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- 1 cup uncooked white quinoa
- 2 large NC sweetpotatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz. can whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 4-oz. can green chiles
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or any kind of broth)
- 1/2 large red onion, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- fresh cilantro
- yogurt, dairy-free if necessary
- sliced avocado
- smoked paprika
- Begin by spraying your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Then, place all of the ingredients into your slow cooker and mix until combined.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours (or until the quinoa is fully cooked and the sweet potatoes are at desired texture).
- Occasionally stir all of the ingredients together every hour.
- When the quinoa is cooked and the sweet potatoes are soft, uncover the slow cooker.
- Serve the sweetpotato Mexican quinoa with the optional toppings and enjoy!
- Nutrition information does not include toppings.
- Serving Size: 1/6 recipe
- Calories: 342
- Sugar: 13
- Fat: 3
- Carbohydrates: 57
- Fiber: 12
- Protein: 16
Vegan Crock Pot Recipes
This post is sponsored by the NC SweetPotato Commission. We were compensated and all opinions are our own. Thank you for supporting Fit Foodie Finds!