Got 2 minutes? Then, you have time for a healthy breakfast! Make our 2-Minute Microwave Oatmeal. This recipe tastes exactly like chocolate chip cookie dough AND it’s healthy.
There are so many ways to cook oatmeal (overnight, stovetop, slow cooker, and Instant Pot), but nothing is faster than using the good ol’ microwave! That’s right, it takes no more than 2 minutes to make the perfect bowl of oats in the microwave!
Ever feel like there’s not enough time for breakfast in the morning? WRONG! I’m here to give you the easiest healthy breakfast idea that will make you want to jump out of bed in the morning!
Basic Microwave Oatmeal Ratios
We love oatmeal because it’s a whole grain, a healthy carb, and a super filling breakfast to nosh on in the morning. We rarely make oatmeal in its most basic form (oats + liquid) because we’re always finding ways to dress it up. However, we thought we’d start basic and work our way into the magic.
Since microwave oatmeal is supposed to be a quick and easy breakfast solution, we only recommend using either rolled oats or quick-cooking oats in the microwave.
Microwave Oatmeal with Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cups liquid
- Method: Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
Microwave Oatmeal with Quick-Cooking Oats
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2/3 cup liquid
- Method: Microwave on high for 1 minute.
While you can use water to make your oatmeal, you can also use many other different kinds of milk, which really make it creamy and delicious. Here are a few to try out.
- almond milk
- soy milk
- cow’s milk
- whole milk
- oat milk
Quick tip about our ratios
We recommend using 2/3 cup of liquid per 1/2 cup of oats instead of the prescribed 1 cup of liquid on most oatmeal containers.
We do this because we think the best kind of oatmeal is thick, creamy, and a little meatier. If you use the full cup of liquid, you’ll notice that 1. it takes longer to cook and 2. it’s a lot soupier.
How to Make Microwave Oatmeal
- First, place oats and liquid into a microwave-safe bowl. Then, mix. Add in any other mix-ins your heart desires and mix again.
- Next, place the bowl into the microwave and cook on high for 60 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir. If you are using rolled oats, place them back into the microwave for another 30-60 seconds.
- Finally, let oatmeal cool for 2-3 minutes before topping with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
Consistency is key!
We prefer our oats to be thick with a bit of a bite. However, if you like a thinner oatmeal, feel free to add a few more tablespoons of milk to thin things out. You can do this before microwaving or after, either works!
Microwave Oatmeal Variations
Speaking of toppings, you never want to eat oatmeal without some toppings! I mean, if you could turn plain oatmeal into cookie dough, why wouldn’t you?! Here are some of our favorite combos.
- cookie dough: 1/2 tablespoon cashew butter + 2 teaspoons maple syrup + 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips
- lemon cheesecake: 2 teaspoons honey + 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- peanut butter banana: 1/2 tablespoons peanut butter + 2 teaspoons honey + 1/2 medium banana (mashed)
- apple cinnamon: 1/2 medium apple (grated) + 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon + 2 teaspoons maple syrup
Got leftover microwave oatmeal? Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat: add a little bit more milk and stir. Then microwave on high for 60 seconds.
Amazing Cookie Dough Microwave Oatmeal
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix togehter rolled oats, unsweetened almond milk, nut butter, and maple syrup.
- Place bowl in microwave and cook on high for 1 minute.
- Stir oatmeal and place back in microwave. Cook for another minute. Remove and stir again.
- Let cool for 2 minutes before topping with chocolate chips.