Use a bag of frozen vegetables to make this insanely delicious Air Fryer Sweet and Sour Veggies recipe. It’s served over cauliflower rice!
Best Ever Air Fryer Frozen Vegetables!
Why eat boring old frozen vegetables when you can jazz them up in the air fryer and make Sweet and Sour Veggies?!
We love this Air Fryer Sweet and Sour vegetable recipe for so many reasons, but mostly because it’s so easy to throw together and the sauce is delicious.
This recipe combines tempura vegetables with the air fryer and then we obviously had to pair that with some unreal sweet and sour sauce!
Why You’ll Love it!
- Uses frozen veggies
- Lower in carbs
Cauliflower Fried Rice
We thought we’d make the entire dish in the air fryer, including the rice! While this recipe calls for frozen riced cauliflower, we’re confident you could also use fresh cauliflower rice too.
What You Need
- Frozen riced cauliflower: for the cauliflower rice, we used a frozen riced cauliflower. Look for it in the frozen vegetable section at your local grocery store.
- Soy sauce: soy sauce is used to give it a fried rice taste. You could also use tamari if you’d like to keep it gluten free.
How to Make it
- Add frozed riced cauliflower to your air fryer basket and break up the chunks.
- Drizzle with soy sauce. Toss.
- Air fry at 400ºF for 5 minutes. Toss and air fry for 5 more minutes.
We took the sweet and sour veggies up a notch with a tempura-like coating that’s going to give these veggies so much life. Good news – you just need a bag of frozen veggies!
What You Need
- Frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots: we used around a 10-oz. bag of veggies. We’re confident that you could use any of your favorite frozen veggies. For example, all broccoli, broccoli and cauliflower, or even green beans!
- Eggs: egg is used to help the tempura breading stick.
- All-purpose flour: flour is used to give the veggies a tempura texture.
- Garlic powder: garlic adds flavor.
How to Make it
- Crack and whisk eggs in one bowl. Then, in another, combine flour and garlic powder.
- Add the frozen veggies to the egg bowl and toss. Then, sprinkle the flour mixture on top of the veggies and toss until coated.
- Air fryer frozen vegetables at 400ºF for 7 minutes. Toss the veggies and air fry for another 8 minutes.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
If we’re being honest, we’re a bit obsessed with this sweet and sour sauce and plan to use it on everything!
What You Need
- Honey: we love using natural sweeteners when possible to sweeten sauces and condiments. Honey goes perfect with this sweet and sour sauce.
- Orange juice: we love a little bit of citrus and the orange juice makes this sauce taste so fresh.
- Soy sauce: soy sauce adds a saltiness. Feel free to swap for tamari.
- Red chili sauce: a little bit of heat does the soul good.
- Corn starch: no one like a runny sweet and sour sauce. Corn starch is used to thicken it a bit.
How to Make it
- Combine all of the ingredients (minus the corn starch) in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium/high heat. Turn to low then let simmer.
- Make your corn starch slurry by whisking corn starch and water until the starch dissolves.
- Add the slurry into the sauce and continue to whisk over low heat until the sauce thickens.
Toss the Sauce and Veggies!
The final step in this air fryer frozen vegetable recipe is tossing the air-fried veggies in the sweet and sour sauce.
The sauce should be nice and thick and coat the veggies perfectly.
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon red chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- 10-oz. bag frozen riced cauliflower (we used Birds Eye Steamfresh Original)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Pinch of salt
- 10.8-oz. bag frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots (we used Birds Eye Steamfresh)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- Preheat the air fryer to 400ºF and spray the air fryer basket or shelf with non-stick cooking spray. Remove all of the vegetables from the freezer and let them sit for a couple of minutes.
- Next, place all the ingredients (except for the corn starch) for the sweet and sour sauce in a small saucepan.
- Prepare the sauce: Whisk the ingredients for the sauce together and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Turn the heat to low, let the sauce simmer while you prepare the slurry. In a small jar, whisk the corn starch with 2 tablespoons of water until combined. Pour the slurry into the sauce and whisk everything together until it thickens. Cover and remove the sauce from the heat.
- Prepare the riced cauliflower: Pour the frozen riced cauliflower into the air fryer basket and be sure you break up any large frozen chunks. Drizzle the soy sauce and a pinch of salt over the riced cauliflower.
- Toss and spray the riced cauliflower with non-stick cooking spray.
- Fry the riced cauliflower at 400ºF for 5 minutes, toss, and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Pour the riced cauliflower into a bowl and cover with tin foil.
- Prepare the vegetables: Crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk.
- Add the frozen broccoli, cauliflower and carrots to the bowl and toss the vegetables until they are covered in egg.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, garlic powder, salt, and whisk together. Sprinkle the flour mixture over the vegetables and toss until the vegetables are coated with flour.
- Pour the vegetables into the air fryer, spray with non-stick cooking spray, and fry for 7 minutes. Toss the vegetables and fry for another 8 minutes.
- Add the cooked vegetables to a bowl and add the sweet and sour sauce to the bowl. Toss until the vegetables are coated in sauce.
- Serve the vegetables over the riced cauliflower and sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/2 Calories: 410 Sugar: 53 Fat: 5 Carbohydrates: 77 Fiber: 8 Protein: 11
Keywords: air fryer frozen vegetables