These foil pack grilled red potatoes are an easy side to add to any bbq. All you need to do to make these grilled potatoes in foil is toss them in olive oil, spices, and create foil pack!
I am a grilling machine. I’ve gotten really good at being patient with my grilling instead of checking my meat/veggies too soon, which risks ruining the grill marks 😀 And, it’s all about the grill marks. We’re going back to the basics today with this simple tutorial on how to make grilled red potatoes, a summertime fav!
How to Grill Potatoes
These amazing grilled potatoes only take about 10 minutes to prep and 20 minutes to cook. The method we are using today is the foil pack method, where you place all of your ingredients on a piece of foil, seal it with another piece of foil, and bake it on the grill. It’s easy to do and has easier cleanup!
Start off by washing 1 lb. of red potatoes and quartering them. All you need to do is simply cut your potatoes in half and then half again! We like using red potatoes because they’re the perfect bite-sized potato and the skin isn’t as rough as other kinds of potatoes. We also used a small yellow onion because of its amazing flavor addition.
Veggie tip: Next time, try adding in other veggies like sweet potato, zucchini, and bell pepper! You’ll never want to cook your veggies another way!
Olive Oil + Spices
In order to coat your potatoes in a good amount of olive oil and spices, we like to place the veggies into a large plastic bag. That way, you can seal the bag and shake the potatoes to evenly coat everything. We kept the spices on these amazing grilled potatoes pretty simple:
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
Spice tip: You can add any spices that your palate prefers, but I like garlic, salt, pepper, basil, and parsley.
Once your potatoes are fully coated with all the good stuff, it’s time to make your foil pack. I have officially mastered the foil pack fold. The more you practice the easier it gets, I promise! Place a sheet of heavy-duty foil (or 2 pieces of normal foil) on your counter. Then, transfer the veggies, olive oil, and spices onto the foil. Place another piece of foil on top and carefully fold all 4 sides together to create your pack. Last, using a fork, poke a few holes on the top of your foil pack. This will ensure even cooking.
Grill at 400ºF
Grill your foil pack red potatoes at around 400ºF. Place the foil pack right on top of the flames and cover grill. Grill for about 20 minutes or until you can easily pierce your potatoes with a fork.
Grill marks tip: the best way to get grill marks and a crispier potato is to grill at a higher temperature right on top of the flames. This will create that amazing char flavor as well! Oh, and don’t skimp on the olive oil. This will help crisp things up as well!
More Grilled Vegetables
Foil Pack Grilled Red Potatoes Video
- First, heat your grill to 400ºF.
- Next, prepare red potatoes. Wash them and pat dry. Then, cut in half, and in half again to quarter them.
- Prep onion by finely dicing. Then, place all vegetables into a large plastic gallon-sized bag.
- Drizzle on olive oil and add spices. Seal bag and shake so that veggies get completely coated in olive oil and spices.
- Transfer vegetables onto a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Then place another piece of foil on top. Fold the sides in, creating your foil pack. Last, use a fork to poke a few holes on the top of your foil pack.
- Place foil pack on your heated grill right on top of the flames. Then, cover grill and let cook for around 20 minutes or until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork and have reached desired consistency.
Tips & Notes
- Italian seasoning: option to use 1 teaspoon dried basil and 1 teaspoon dried parsley instead.
- Foil: make sure you are using a heavy-duty foil to prevent the oil from leaking into the grill. Option to use 2 pieces of foil instead.
- This recipe was slightly altered on April 11, 2019.