Start the morning off right with this Arugula Breakfast Sandwich with Caramelized Onions! This breakfast sandwich is a simple breakfast made with a whole grain English muffin, peppery arugula, and delicious caramelized onions that leave you with a full belly until lunch!
Happy Friday, friends! Lee and I are currently in Chicago for a weekend full of fun festivities! We have Ambitious Kitchen’s wedding tonight (OMG YAY), an anniversary party for Lee’s parents (30 years, people), and Cole and I are hanging with family. I feel like this weekend is kicking off the holiday season. Lots of love, good food, and hopefully some DANCING.
But first, BREAKFAST SAMMIES.
Savory breakfast people raise your hands and say HEEEEY, HOOOO. If there is ever any question on what to have for breakfast, my answer is usually—> breakfast sandwich. If there is a breakfast sandwich on the menu, you bet I am going to order it. I am a huge fan of egg sammies any time, any place. There are countless spots in the cities where you can find yourself a perfectly cooked over medium egg breakfast sammy with pepper bacon, roasted veggies, and some kind of delicious aioli.
Right now, my favorite breakfast sandwich places in the cities are:
This Arugula Breakfast Sandwich with Caramelized Onions is a Fit Foodie HQ go-to! The perfect balance of warm + cold, spicy + tangy, and a little bit of a crunch from the English muffin are the start of the perfect breakfast sandwich. I also love to get my veggies in the morning so a large serving of arugula on this sandwich is a must for me and having caramelized onions ready in the fridge is SO incredibly convenient (check out our post on How to Caramelize Onions in the Oven)! So, when you’re looking for something tasty to keep your energy up until lunch, this breakfast sandwich is a must!
Arugula Breakfast Sandwich with Caramelized Onions
- First, toss arugula with 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Cut an English muffin in half and toast. Set aside.
- Next, heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil.
- When olive oil is fragrant, crack an egg into pan and cover. Let cook for 3-6 minutes depending on how you like your eggs cooked.
- Assemble your sandwich by laying a slice of cheddar cheese on one half of the english muffin, followed by a piece of bacon, caramelized onions, and then arugula. Carefully place the fried egg on top of the arugula. Top with the other half of your english muffin and enjoy!
What is YOUR perfect breakfast sandwich?