Have you ever wondered how to cook bacon in the oven? Good news! All you need is bacon, a metal baking rack, and a cookie sheet to make the most perfect oven baked bacon every time.
Bacon lovers unite! Ever heard the saying everything is better with bacon? Well, it’s 100% true…especially when it’s ready in under 20 minutes! Asparagus…better with bacon. Eggs…better with bacon. Brussels sprouts…better with bacon. Today we’re sharing a super simple tutorial on how to make bacon in the oven.
The DL on Oven Baked Bacon
Before we get started with the actual recipe, there are three things you’re going to need. First and foremost…BACON.
Bacon is the only ingredient you need in order to make perfect oven baked bacon. Crazy, right? There are a lot of bacons on the market and TBH, it’s all about preference. Are you a thin and crunchy bacon kind of girl or a thick and chewy bacon kind of girl? Whatever kind you prefer, they all work! My one piece of advice is to spend the little extra money to buy high-quality bacon that is free of nitrates and additives.
- Thin: for a crunchy, ultra-quick cooking bacon
- Medium: for perfectly in-between bacon
- Thick: for a thicker, chewier bacon
Metal Baking Rack
A metal baking rack. To use or not to use. The low down on a metal baking rack is that it allows your bacon to cook more evenly because the fat falls off of the bacon onto the cookie sheet. If you can image bacon sizzling on the stove top in its own grease. It bubbles, curls, and burns easier.
Whatever you do, DON’T FORGET TO THE COOKIE SHEET. The baking sheet is what’s going to catch all of that grease as it falls off the meat. If you forget the backing sheet, it’s going to drip all over your oven and that ain’t fun!
Pro tip: line your cookie sheet with tin foil so that you can easily remove the bacon grease after it sets for an easy clean up!
How to Cook Bacon in the Oven
Who’s ready for the most perfect oven baked bacon on the planet? This is an easy, fool-proof tutorial for cooking bacon in the oven. Best part? Breakfast is served in less than 30 minutes!
Begin by lining a cooking sheet with tin foil and preheat your oven to 400ºF. Then, place a metal baking rack on top of it. This is to prevent bacon grease dripping all over your oven. Next, lay each strip of bacon on top of the bacon rack. Make sure that none of them overlap. Then, place baking sheet into oven and use the following bake times depending on the thickness of your bacon:
- Thin: 10-15 minutes
- Medium: 15-20 minutes
- Thick: 20-25 minutes
Once your bacon is at the desired texture, remove from oven and let rest for around 5 minutes. Finally, remove excess grease with a paper towel.
Serve with all of your favorite breakfast fixings such as my favs below.
Healthy Breakfast Pairings
Best Bacon Recipes
- Bacon-Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Goat Cheese
- Bacon-Wrapped Honey Sriracha Chicken Bites
- BLT Quinoa Lettuce Wraps
- Cauliflower Mac n’ Chicken Casserole
- 1 lb. bacon, nitrate-free if possible
- First, preheat oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with tin foil.
- Next, place a metal baking rack on top of the baking sheet and set aside.
- Remove bacon from package and place bacon strips side by side on the baking rack. Make sure that the strips are not touching.
- Place cookie sheet in the oven at 400ºF. For thin-cut bacon, bake for 10-15 minutes. For medium-cut bacon, bake for 15-20 minutes. And, for thick-cut bacon, bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Once bacon is at desired texture, remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before placing on a piece of paper towel.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 2 strips bacon Calories: 93 Sugar: 0 Fat: 7 Carbohydrates: 0 Fiber: 0 Protein: 7
Keywords: how to cook bacon in the oven, oven baked bacon