Take out that cast iron pan of yours and make this butternut squash breakfast hash and sausage with baked eggs! It’s an excellent high protein breakfast (lunch or dinner!) to jumpstart your day with.
It’s Butternut Squash Season
Tis the season to be jolly and eat cozy comfort food. Does it get any cozier than butternut squash? I think not.
SQUASH. We love our sweet potatoes over at FFF HQ, but when it is squash season, we can’t get enough! We made this butternut squash breakfast hash with baked eggs on a whim one day because we were trying to use up veggies in the fridge. We posted a photo on Instagram and BOOM.
You spoke, we listened! Here is the PERFECT winter hash for you and yours. It is packed with veggies and has all of your favorite breakfast flavors. ENJOY.
Ingredients You’ll Need
This recipe is delicious AND simple. Here is everything you will need to mix up this butternut squash breakfast hash.
- butternut squash
- breakfast sausage
- fresh thyme
Everything You Need to Know
Breakfast hash is one of the easiest ways to use up everything in your refrigerator. You can make a delicious savory breakfast full of vegetables, protein, and eggs!
How to prepare the butternut squash
When using butternut squash in a breakfast hash it needs to be cut into cubes! Start off by peeling the skin off of the butternut squash with a vegetable peeler or a sharp knife.
Next, cut it into rounds, then in strips, then cut the squash into 1-inch cubes.
Flavor the Breakfast Hash
We kept it simple and flavored this breakfast hash with salt, pepper, and fresh thyme right before serving!
What kind of meat do I use?
The beauty of breakfast hash is that you can use whatever you want! We used turkey breakfast sausage but feel free to use pork sausage, chicken sausage, or even vegetarian sausage!
Butternut Squash Recipes
Butternut Squash Breakfast Hash
Take out that cast iron pan of yours and make this butternut squash and sausage breakfast hash with baked eggs! It’s an excellent high protein breakfast (lunch or dinner!) to jumpstart your day with!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 10
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 6 pre-cooked turkey sausage links, sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Heat a cast iron pan over medium/high heat. Add avocado oil.
- When the avocado oil is fragrant, add butternut squash. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add yellow onion and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add in turkey sausage, garlic, and thyme and let cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Finally, add spinach and let it cook down for about 3-5 minutes.
- Create four divets in your squash hash with a spoon and crack an egg in each divet. If you would like to bake the eggs, cook for around 15-20 minutes at 350ºF. If you would like to fry your eggs, turn heat down to low/medium, cover pan and let cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serving Size: 1/4
- Calories: 213
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 330
- Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 11
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 12