Healthy pasta lovers, this one’s for you! A Caprese Chicken Pasta that packs 51g of protein per serving and all those delicious caprese flavors you love. Plus, it’s perfect for meal prep!
Make this healthy pasta to serve a crowd, or meal prep it for healthy lunches for the week!
Healthy Pasta + Meal Prep
Here at Fit Foodie Finds, we’re firm believers that pasta dishes can be HEALTHY, and that healthy pasta doesn’t need to compromise on flavor and taste. And this healthy caprese pasta is no exception. Plus, did we mention it’s a great recipe for meal prep?! With this delicious combination of fresh flavors:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Fresh garlic
- Mozzarella balls
And the most flavorful caprese sauce using:
- White wine
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
Oh, and this also packs protein from chicken breasts and penne pasta. We used traditional white pasta noodles, but this recipe will work great with whole wheat noodles or a GF alternative as long as you follow the cooking instructions on the box.
Caprese Pasta Pro Tips
This healthy pasta is a super simple 7-step recipe, and the following pro tips will ensure that you’re caprese chicken pasta is all you’ve hoped and dreamed of:
Cooking the Chicken
When cooking your diced chicken, first make sure your dutch oven is hot (you’ll know it is when the olive oil is fragrant!), and then add the chicken, garlic, salt and pepper to the pot, and cook for 4-5 minutes.
Next, when chicken is only partially cooked, then add the cherry tomatoes to the pot and cook the tomatoes, chicken, and garlic together until the tomatoes begin to stew. This will take about 5 minutes. Once the tomatoes are stewed and the chicken is fully cooked, you’re ready to make and reduce the sauce.
Reducing the Sauce
Then, finally add the balsamic vinegar, white wine, butter, and the rest of the salt and pepper to the pot with everything that’s already in there. Mix together well, and then let the liquid reduce by half. This will take about 10 minutes, and has now become your delicious sauce and marinated chicken!
Does it Matter What Type of Noodles I Use?
No, it does not matter what type of noodle you use! Use whatever noodle you have on hand! And feel free to sub for whole wheat pasta or a GF options as well.
Do I have to Use Mozzarella Balls?
If you can’t find mini mozzarella balls at your grocer, you can absolutely buy a large mozzarella ball or log and cut it into small chunks.
How to Meal Prep this Pasta
This healthy pasta serves 4, but can easily be doubled or tripled if you’re meal prepping for multiple people for the week. Store them in individual glass meal prep containers for easy lunch on the go or in one large air-tight container if you’re planning to reheat at home.
How to Store this Pasta
This pasta will keep for up to 5 days when stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
Vegetarian Pasta Recipes
And while we’ve got you, if you’re in the market for vegetarian pasta dishes that still pack a ton of protein and flavor, look no further! Here are some of our faves:
- 38 Vegan Pasta Recipes
- Whole Wheat Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
- Creamy Greek Pasta Salad
- Creamy Tomato Basil Vegan Pasta
More Pasta Recipes
Make This Recipe:
- 2.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 lb. chicken breast, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, separated
- 12 oz. cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1.5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 oz. mozzarella balls, halved
- 6 oz. penne pasta (any kind)
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- First, fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil over high heat. Add penne pasta and cook until the pasta is al dente. Strain the pasta and set it aside until later.
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium/high heat. Add olive oil.
- When olive oil is fragrant, add the chicken, garlic, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper to the pot and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Next, when chicken is partially cooked, add cherry tomatoes to the pot and cook the tomatoes, chicken, and garlic together until the tomatoes begin to stew (about 5 minutes).
- Add the balsamic vinegar, white wine, butter, and the rest of the salt and pepper to the pot, mix well, and let the liquid reduce by half (about 10 minutes).
- Remove the sauce from the heat and toss the noodles and mozzarella balls with the sauce.
- Add basil to the pasta right before serving, toss, and enjoy!
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 recipe Calories: 482 Sugar: 4 Sodium: 268 Fat: 24 Carbohydrates: 14 Fiber: 2 Protein: 51 Cholesterol: 133
Keywords: caprese chicken pasta