You’ll love this whipped cottage cheese buffalo chicken dip – a creamy, spicy delight! Blend cottage cheese with Greek yogurt and hot sauce, mix with shredded chicken, top with cheese, and bake. Perfect for dipping with your favorite snacks.
If you’re looking for a perfect game-day dip, this cottage cheese buffalo chicken dip is it! Thanks to the blended cottage cheese and hot sauce, this dip is super duper creamy with amazing buffalo flavor. Plus, we love that it’s an easy way to use leftover shredded chicken or even to double the recipe and use an entire rotisserie chicken!
This recipe was a huge hit at the studio. We ate it for lunch with crackers, carrots, and celery and decided we needed to make it again and eat it as a wrap!
What You Need for Cottage Cheese Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Chicken: We’re using shredded chicken breasts for this dip, but have tested it with leftover rotisserie chicken and boneless chicken thighs, which are also delicious.
- Cottage cheese and Greek yogurt: The creaminess of this dip comes from the blended cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, which both add another boost of protein.
- Hot sauce: We’re using a whopping 1/4 cup of Franks Hot Sauce in this buffalo chicken dip.
- Toppings: Don’t skip the toppings! Shredded mozzarella, blue cheese crumbles and sliced green onions are the perfect complement to the spicy buffalo flavor of this dip.
Food processor: Using a food processor makes this recipe so creamy! All you have to do is dump your cottage cheese, Greek yogurt and hot sauce, and blend. If you don’t have access to a food processor, try using a high-speed blender instead.
Variations and Substitutions
Chicken: Shredded rotisserie chicken, leftover chicken, or chicken thighs can be used instead of the chicken breasts.
Reduce the spice: If you are sensitive to spice, add the honey to the cottage cheese when you add the hot sauce. It will balance out the spice.
Amp up the spice: Like it extra spicy? Increase the hot sauce from 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup.
Don’t rush blending the cottage cheese: Be sure you blend the cottage cheese for 4-5 minutes; it helps to prevent curdling when heating the buffalo chicken dip.
No food processor, no problem: If you don’t have a food processor, a blender works great too! Just make sure you scrape the sides of the blender so everything blends nicely.
Double or triple to serve a crowd: Because this cottage cheese buffalo chicken dip only calls for 1 lb. of shredded chicken, might we recommend doubling or tripling the batch to serve a crowd? Even if you only have 2 lbs. of chicken, you can easily double this dip.
Become a Pro at Cooking Chicken!
We’ll teach you everything you need to know on how to cook chicken perfectly every time + we’ll share our top chicken recipes when you subscribe to our emails today!
Can I make this buffalo chicken dip recipe ahead of time?
Feel free to prep this dip the night before, baking it the next day. You’ll likely need to bake it a bit longer in order to get it fully warmed up.
You could also transfer it to a slow cooker on low heat to keep it warm for a longer period of time.
Store your leftover cottage cheese buffalo chicken dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How to Serve This Dip
We loved serving this dip with extra hot sauce and blue cheese on top.
- Raw veggies
- Tortilla chips
Email Me this Recipe
Share your email, and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus, enjoy weekly doses of recipe inspiration as a bonus!
"*" indicates required fields
Cottage Cheese Buffalo Chicken Dip
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup blue cheese crumbles
- ⅓ cup diced green onion
- Crostini or crackers
- Celery sticks carrot sticks, and sliced cucumbers
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet or cast iron over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken breasts to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Remove the chicken from the pan when the internal temperature reaches 165ºF.
- Add the cottage cheese to a high-speed food processor or blender. Blend for 4-5 minutes until completely smooth and whipped. Add the Greek yogurt and hot sauce. Blend until smooth.
- Shred the chicken and then transfer it back into the same pan. Add the cottage cheese mixture to the shredded chicken and stir to combine until the chicken is fully coated.
- Top the dip with shredded mozzarella cheese and then bake at 400ºF for 15-20 minutes or until it begins to bubble. Option to broil the dip for a few minutes to brown the cheese.
- Once the dip is hot, remove it from the oven. Sprinkle on blue cheese and diced green onion.
- Serve with your favorite crackers, crostini, celery, carrots, or cucumber.
Tips & Notes
- Shredded rotisserie chicken, leftover chicken, or chicken thighs can be used instead of the chicken breasts.
- If you are sensitive to spice, add the honey to the cottage cheese when you add the hot sauce. It will balance out the spice.
- Be sure you blend the cottage cheese for 4-5 minutes, it helps to prevent curdling.
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Ashley McGlaughlin from The Edible Perspective.