It’s dinner time, and these Healthy Chicken Enchiladas are calling your name! Packed with shredded chicken, roasted sweet potatoes and black beans + a homemade enchilada sauce that is EASY to make with a few pantry staples, healthy enchiladas have never been easier. Whip up a batch for mea prep for the week, or serve a crowd. Dinner is served!
Homemade enchiladas for the win! This healthy chicken enchilada recipe comes complete with the great flavors of roasted sweet potatoes and black beans plus a homemade enchilada sauce that’s absolutely delicious. This recipe is great for meal prep for the week, and reheats quite well. Whether you’re bringing it to a neighbor in need, feeding a crowd, or meal prepping for the week, we promise this healthy enchilada recipe will be a great addition to your staple dinners!
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
I used to always be intimidated by homemade enchilada sauce. But the first time I got enough courage to make my own at home changed my life. All these times I was taking the easy way out buying store bought enchilada sauce, when it’s actually quite east to make your own! I guarantee that you have most of these ingredients in your kitchen right now:
- tomato sauce
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- hot sauce (we love Frank’s Red Hot for this recipe, but feel free to use any hot sauce of your choice)
STAPLES, PEOPLE. If you don’t currently have these ingredients in your pantry, make a promise to yourself that from here on out you will ALWAYS HAVE THESE INGREDIENTS on hand. You never know when you’re going to want to whip up some enchiladas. And trust me, this homemade sauce can beat your store-bought sauce any day of the week.
How to Make Homemade Enchilada Sauce
We’ll walk you through this, but I’ll tell you right now, this is EASY and will only take you 15 minutes. Plus, it can be whipped together when you’re cooking your chicken and sweet potatoes for these healthy enchiladas, AKA no extra time is required.
While the chicken and sweet potatoes are roasting, add all ingredients for your enchilada sauce to a sauce pan and cook over high heat, making sure to bring the sauce to a boil.
Reduce to low heat and let sauce simmer for an additional 10 minutes, and you’re ready to go!
Other Enchilada Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Twice-Baked Turkey Sweet Potato Enchilada Boats
- Superfood Enchilada Dip
Sweet Potato Chicken Enchiladas
- 6-8 large whole grain tortillas
- 15 oz. canned of refried black beans
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lime
- 1 large avocado sliced (for toppings)
- fresh cilantro chopped (for toppings)
Chicken and Sweet Potatoes*
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and prepare two baking sheets by spraying them with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place sweet potatoes on one baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, garlic powder, cumin, and salt. Toss and set aside.
- Next, drizzle chicken breasts with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on the remaining baking sheet.
- Place both baking sheets in to the oven and bake for around 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. When chicken is cool, use 2 forks to shred and set aside.
- While chicken and sweet potatoes are roasting, add all ingredients for enchilada sauce to a sauce pan and cook over high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to low heat and let sauce simmer for 10 minutes.
- Prepare a 9x13-inch casserole dish by pouring half of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Next, make your enchiladas by spreading two tablespoons of refried beans evenly onto a whole wheat tortilla. Then add about 1/4 cup roasted sweet potatoes and 1/4 cup shredded chicken. Fold the ends of the tortilla and roll the enchilada up tight. Place in the casserole dish. Repeat until you've made eight enchiladas.
- Pour the remainder of enchilada sauce over enchiladas and spread evenly.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and sprinkle on cheese. Bake for an additional 10 more minutes.
- Remove from oven, garnish with a squeeze of lime, fresh cilantro and sliced avocado and enjoy!