Need a healthy appetizer recipe for game day or a party? Look no further than this healthy enchilada dip. It’s made with ground beef, two types of beans, and enchilada sauce.
Amazing Enchilada Dip
When I dip you dip we dip.
This healthy enchilada dip needs to be added to your next party menu! It’s saucy and meaty and beany and cheesy…basically, everything you’ve ever wanted in a dip! If you’ve ever tried our chili cheese dip recipe, then I know you’re going to love this one.
If you’ve ever had an enchilada, you know that the star of the recipe is the enchilada sauce. Well, good news for you is that you can choose any enchilada sauce your heart desires. You can make your own or buy your favorite at the store. Here are our favorites:
Now that you’ve chosen your enchilada sauce, it’s time to assemble the rest of your ingredients! Lucky for you, a lot of the ingredients in this recipe are pretty interchangeable.
- ground meat: we recommend ground beef, but any kind of ground meat will work!
- garlic: garlic makes this recipe extra warm and savory.
- beans: you need 1 cup of beans and we suggest mixing black beans and white northern beans, but you can try kidney or pinto.
- red onion: we know, some people have a love-hate relationship with onions, so feel free to add more or omit completely.
- sweet corn: corn out of the can is perfect for this recipe, but if you have it fresh off the cobb…even better!
- sweet potatoes: don’t love sweet potatoes, feel free to ditch them or swap them with normal potatoes or even more beans!
What makes this dip healthy?
I’m sure you’re asking yourself what makes this enchilada dip healthy? There are a couple of different reasons why this dip is better than others.
The recipe is written that you can choose whatever kind of ground meat your heart desires. If you’re looking to keep this lower in fat and calories, we suggest ground chicken or turkey. If you’re looking to add iron and more fat to your diet, then we suggest ground beef.
We love how fibrous this recipe is and that’s mostly thanks to the BEANS. Feel free to mix and match when it comes to beans…and even double the amount!
Last but not least, this enchilada dip is packed with 3 different kinds of veggies (sweet potatoes, onions, and corn) and it doesn’t have to stop there! Try adding bell pepper or even zucchini to this dish to make it even more veggie-packed!
Healthy Dip Recipes
- Healthy Chili Cheese Dip
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Baked Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- Healthy 7-Layer Greek Yogurt Taco Dip
- 1/2 pound ground meat (beef, chicken, turkey, or bison)
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced (~1 cup diced)
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup northern white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1.5 cups enchilada sauce
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 large avocado, sliced (for topping)
- First, preheat oven to high broil. Then, brown 1/2 pound of ground meat in a 10 inch cast iron skillet. Drain fat and set meat aside.
- Next, heat 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil over medium/high heat in the same cast iron skillet. Add in minced garlic, diced sweet potato, and red onion and sauté for 7-10 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are almost cooked all the way through.
- Add in black beans, white beans, sweet corn, enchilada sauce, and the cooked meat and bring to a slight boil. Take off heat and sprinkle on shredded cheese.
- Place cast iron skillet in the oven for 1 minute in order to melt the cheese. Remove and top with sliced avocado and fresh cilantro.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 228 Sugar: 3 Fat: 12 Carbohydrates: 18 Fiber: 5 Protein: 13
Keywords: enchilada dip