This Easy Roasted Delicata Squash is the perfect pairing to any harvest meal! Enjoy a creme fraiche drizzle with the rich savory flavors of delicata squash. No peeling required!
We’ve been busy cooking up delicious Thanksgiving-inspired recipes in the Fit Foodie Kitchen, and we’re so thrilled to be sharing all these comfort-filled recipes with you all — especially this year!
As most of us are limiting the sizes of our get-togethers or opting for a virtual Thanksgiving with loved ones, these recipes were made with that in mind!
You’ll find a oh so delicious Vegan Green Bean Casserole, Sausage Stuffing, and Roasted Ranch Turkey Breast instead of a full bird here on Fit Foodie Finds. And can’t forget this easy delicata squash recipe!
Easy Roasted Delicata Squash
We love love love squash over here (check out some of our fave healthy recipes with squash below!), and delicata squash is no exception!
We know that one of the major barriers to cooking with squash is that most squash varieties require you to peel the skin. Which is why we’re oh so excited to share this delicata squash recipe because:
- Delicata squash requires NO peeling — you can eat the roasted squash skin!
- The flavor of delicata squash is rich and deliciously sweet.
What are your favorite delicata squash recipes to make? We love roasted squash and can’t wait to add more delicata recipes to Fit Foodie Finds.
What is Delicata Squash?
Delicata squash is a variety of winter squash known for its delicate skin (hence its name!) and its cylindar-like shape.
What Does Delicata Squash Taste Like?
Delicata squash has a sweet and rich flavor that is similar to a sweet potato or pumpkin making it great to use in a variety of savory and sweet recipes.
Can You Eat the Skin of Delicata Squash?
Because of its delicate skin or rind, there is no need for peeling delicata squash! That’s right, you can eat the skin 😀
How to Prepare Roasted Delicata Squash (step by step)
Preheat & Prep Squash
Preheat the oven to 400ºF and grease a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
Then, prepare the delicata squash by rinsing the outside of the delicata squash with water and dry it completely.
Next, slice the delicata squash in half lengthwise (hot dog style) and scoop out the seeds and innards from the squash. Slice the delicata squash into 3/4-inch half moon pieces and spread them out on a baking sheet.
In a separate bowl, whisk the olive oil, maple syrup, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper together until combined. Then, drizzle the olive oil mixture over the squash. Make sure each piece of squash is coated well.
Time to Roast
Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast delicata squash at 400ºF for 15 minutes. Then, toss and place back in the oven for an additional 15 minutes.
Prepare Creme Fresh Garlic Sauce
While the delicata squash are roasting mix the creme fraiche, garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl and set aside (more pro tips on this below!).
Drizzle & Enjoy!
Remove squash from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Finally, drizzle the garlic sauce and fresh thyme over the squash and ENJOY.
Creme Fraiche Garlic Sauce
If there’s one piece of advice we have for this delicata squash recipe, it’s DON’T SKIP THIS SAUCE. The roasted garlic combined with the creme fraiche flavor, makes for the perfect pairing to this rich and savory delicata squash. Plus, it’s only 5 ingredients (and that includes S&P!):
- Creme fraiche (sour cream will work, too!)
- Fresh garlic clove
- Fresh thyme
- Salt & pepper
- Lemon juice
- 2 small delicata squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche (or sour cream)
- 1 garlic clove, made into a paste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1–2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and grease a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare the delicata squash by rinsing the outside of the delicata squash with water and dry it completely.
- Next, slice the delicata in half lengthwise (hot dog style) and scoop out all the seeds and innards from the squash.
- Slice the delicata squash into 3/4-inch half moon pieces and spread them out on a baking sheet.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the olive oil, maple syrup, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper together until combined.
- Drizzle the olive oil mixture over the squash. Make sure each piece of squash is coated with oil.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake at 400ºF for 15 minutes. Toss and place back in the oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- While the delicata squash are baking mix the creme fresh, garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl and set aside.
- Remove squash from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Finally, drizzle the garlic sauce and fresh thyme over the squash and enjoy.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 recipe Calories: 195 Sugar: 5 Sodium: 370 Fat: 13 Carbohydrates: 7 Fiber: 1 Protein: 1 Cholesterol: 10
Keywords: delicata squash