This easy to make hearty vegetable soup recipe is ready in under 1 hour and it won’t disappoint. It’s dairy-free, vegetarian, and so flavorful.
Hearty Vegetable Soup Recipe
This vegetable soup recipe is one of our favorite soups to make on a fall day or when we need a vegetable packed meal.
We love all soup recipes on Fit Foodie Finds. Creamy soup, brothy soup, and everything in between, but this soup is a perfect combo of hearty AND also brothy. It really is the best of both worlds.
why we’re obsessed with this soup
- This vegetable soup recipe is packed with all of our favorite vegetables but you can always sub them out for your favorites. It’s easy to swap.
- If you like to make a big batch of soup to save for later, this soup is perfect.
- The broth in this soup is so flavorful and delicious.
We used both traditional vegetables for this easy vegetable soup recipe and then threw in some curve balls like sweet potato and then added white northern beans for an extra serving of protein.
- Green beans
- Sweet corn
Don’t fret if you don’t have everything this recipe calls for, you can make easy substitutions or swaps and still end up with the best vegetable soup. Some easy swaps you can make are:
- Hot sauce –> sriracha or more red pepper flakes
- Vegetable broth –> chicken broth or beef broth
- Dried minced garlic or onion –> granulated garlic powder or onion powder
- White onion –> yellow onion or purple onion
- Carrots –> parsnips or another root vegetable
- Green Beans –> asparagus or pea pods
- Crushed tomatoes –> diced tomatoes or petite diced tomatoes
- Corn –> hominy
- Any vegetables –> mushrooms, zucchini, swiss chard, broccoli, kale, spinach, etc.
The Great Jones “The Dutchess” is our favorite Dutch oven for every day cooking. It’s great for one-pot meals, soups, and more!
This recipe for soup is crazy easy to follow. This soup is also easy to make for how flavorful and delicious it is.
The key to making homemade vegetable soup is make sure you create a delicious flavor base before simmering all the ingredients together. Here’s how to make vegetable soup in 3 easy steps (with a total time to cook of less than an hr):
- You start this recipe by first sautéing the onions, garlic, and potatoes. You do this to bring out all of the delicious flavor of the garlic and onion. You also want to give the potatoes a little head start to cook.
- After that, you add the carrots and celery in to both get the cooking and to add to the base flavor.
- Lastly, you add everything else to the pot except for the corn and beans and bring it all to a boil and then simmer to deliciousness. We wait to add the corn and beans to the soup because they are already cooked and we don’t want them to get mushy.
here’s a flavor tip
Looking for more ways to up the flavor of this soup? Check out some fun ways to add even more complex flavor below!
Make it SPICY – Add an extra teaspoon or two of hot sauce to the soup for an extra kick!
Make it SWEET – We add maple syrup to balance out the acidity and spice of this soup. Feel free to add a teaspoon or two more for even more great flavor and maple flavor!
Make it HERBY – There is a bundle of fresh rosemary and thyme in this soup! If you want more, try adding fresh sage, oregano, or even tarragon to the herb bundle!
Vegetable Soup Recipe Q & A
You can use any vegetable in a vegetable soup recipe, you just have to aware of HOW you cook them and when you add them to the soup.
When you are simmering vegetable soup you want to make sure that you use hearty vegetables that don’t dissolve while you are simmering the soup (potatoes, carrots, celery, etc.)
However, you can add vegetables like zucchini, green beans, spinach, or kale right at the end of your cook time and simmer the soup for about 5-10 minutes and they won’t dissolve.
There are so many healthy benefits to eating vegetables in general. You get your daily fiber, protein, potassium, and vitamin A in with this soup.
This soup can last up to 7 days in the refrigerator! To store this soup in the fridge, let the soup cool completely before placing it in refrigerator in an airtight container.
Yes, you can freeze this soup! To freeze easy vegetable soup, let the soup cool completely before placing it in a freezer safe container and placing it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Need more details on how to freeze soup? We take a deep dive on how to freeze soup here.
How to Freeze Soup & Chili
Learn how to freeze soup and chili with this easy How to Freeze Soup tutorial. We’ll share all of our tips and tricks to perfect freezer soup.
Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion minced
- 1 large Idaho potato peeled cubed
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 large stalks celery diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 cups fresh green beans trimmed and halved
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried ground oregano
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried minced bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 15-oz. can white northern beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sweet corn
- Begin by heating a large stock pot over medium/high heat. Add olive oil.
- Once the olive oil is fragrant, add the onion to the pot. Sauté the onions for one minute until they start to sweat. Add the garlic.
- Then add the potatoes and sweet potatoes to the pot sauté for about 4 minutes. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt to the potatoes and mix.
- Next, add the celery and carrots to the pot. Sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Finally add the rest of the ingredients (except corn and beans) to the pot. Mix and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Turn the heat to low add the corn and beans to the pot. Simmer on low for 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- After the soup has simmered, check the potatoes. If the potatoes are fork tender the soup is ready to eat!
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Erin from The Wooden Skillet.
Eating healthy or eating something you like is also mental health. We must enjoy the small pleasures of life and know how to appreciate what we have in our environment.
A good diet is very important to lead a balanced life, especially when you work a lot. You have to put it into practice.
Had a couple questions about the white beans and garlic. Got my answer quickly from Linley. Thank you Linley.
I couldn’t find dried bell pepper in the store so I diced 1/2 of a green bell pepper.
I have a vegetarian grand daughter who is somewhat particular of what she eats and doesn’t really care for sweet potatoes. I gave her a bowl and didn’t say a thing about sweet potatoes. SHE LOVED IT! Told her about the sweet “taters.” If they are in the soup, she has no problem with them .
My next culinary challenge is….Instant Pot Hamburger Soup.
Thanks FFF. You have a great web site….and EASY recipes.
I really love this recipe for vegetable soup, because besides being very healthy for my family, my kids love it.
I hope you can continue to give us various culinary alternatives, I will be watching your publications, thank you.