We’ll show you how to make a miel in 4 easy steps in your own kitchen. Enjoy this coffee drink hot or cold. Cheers!
Classic Miel — A Favorite Coffee Drink
We love a miel so much we decided to add it to our website! This coffee drink has been a favorite here at Fit Foodie Finds for years, and today we’re finally sharing our own twist on this classic drink.
Spoiler alert: all you need is 4 ingredients 😀
What is a Miel?
Miel is a coffee drink that hails from Spain, and is how it gets its name. Because miel means honey in Spanish, a miel drink typically uses honey as a sweetener, which also gives it a uniquely delicious flavor.
Is There Coffee in a Miel?
Our miel recipe calls for espresso, but if you prefer to start with a strong brewed coffee, that will work as well!
Make it caffeine free: make this miel caffeine free by using decaf espresso or coffee.
What You Need to Make a Miel
You only need 4 ingredients to make this miel latte. It’s time to round up:
- Simple Syrup:
- Milk: this recipe works with any kind of milk your heart desires. We prefer it with almond milk or oat milk, but you can also use cow’s milk.
- Cinnamon: a pinch of cinnamon is what gives this miel its classic creamy cinnamon taste.
How to Make a Miel Step by Step
This miel is super easy to make in your own kitchen. Now that you have your 4 ingredients, it’s time to follow these 4 easy steps. You’re less than 5 minutes away from enjoying this delicious drink!
Start with Espresso
Add espresso to the bottom of a coffee cup or travel mug if you’re taking this drink on the go.
choosing the right espresso
When it comes time to brew your espresso, eel free to use a Nespresso machine for this (using an espresso pod); that’s what we did! You’ll need 1.5 oz. espresso.
Don’t worry, if you don’t have an espresso maker in your own home, we recommend:
- Cold brew espresso: this is pre-made and readily available at most grocery stores. We recommend the Chameleon brand.
- Instant espresso: comes in a packet that you dilute with water.
- Brew really strong coffee: brew a cup of super strong coffee. You can use a drip coffee machine or a French press.
Combine Milk + Simple Syrup
Pour the milk and simple syrup into a jar and heat it in the microwave for 40 seconds. Or if you prefer to use the stove top: heat it in a saucepan over medium/low heat until hot (be careful not to burn it!).
Froth the Milk
Return the milk mixture to the jar and froth the milk until a thick froth forms. You can froth the milk by shaking in the mason jar or by using a hand frother.
All Together Now
Pour the milk over the espresso, sprinkle with cinnamon, and ENJOY.
How to Make Simple Syrup
Simple syrup is a must to keep on hand for cocktails and cakes. Wondering how to make simple syrup? All you need is water, sugar, and a saucepan.
Make it Iced
If you’re hoping to make this miel over ice instead of hot, we got you! A few tips:
Use a cold brew espresso, or shake hot espresso with ice in a mason jar or cocktail shaker to cool it down without diluting it.
Follow the same instructions for mixing the milk and simple syrup, but eliminate the heating step! The milk and simple syrup will combine easily when chilled.
Serve your miel over ice, and enjoy!
- 1.5 ounces hot espresso
- 2 tablespoons honey simple syrup
- 1/2 cup oat milk or milk of choice
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Add espresso to the bottom of a coffee cup.
- Pour the milk and simple syrup into a jar and heat it in the microwave for 40 seconds or heat it in a saucepan over medium/low heat until hot (be careful not to burn it).
- Return the milk mixture to the jar and froth the milk until a thick froth forms.
- Pour the milk over the espresso, sprinkle with cinnamon, and enjoy.
Holy moly this was SO GOOD! Will definitely make again and again!