This Copycat Starbucks Iced Brown Sugar Oat Milk Shaken Espresso is so simple to make in your own kitchen and is that morning kick you didn’t know you needed!
Better-Than Starbucks Iced Brown Sugar Oat Milk Shaken Espresso
There’s nothing like a Starbucks dupe that you can make in your own home. Save money + drink a coffee shop quality drink? I think yes!
You guys have loved our Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Brew and our Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew and we know this Brown Sugar Oat Milk Shaken Espresso will not disappoint! We know this recipe is a mouthful, but it’s totally worth it!
This yummy coffee drink is slightly sweet and has a hint of cinnamon. We can’t wait for you to make this recipe.
What is In an Iced brown sugar oatmilk shaken espresso?
An iced brown sugar oat milk shaken espresso is made with a delicious brown sugar simple syrup, espresso, oat milk, and ice.
It’s really ALL in the name, isn’t it?
Brown Sugar Simple Syrup
First things first, this brown sugar shaken espresso is all about the brown sugar simple syrup.
What is simple syrup? Simple syrup is made by diluting sugar in water to form a syrup. You can really use any kind of sugar to make a simple syrup, even honey.
We love that this coffee drink uses a brown sugar simple syrup because it’s warm and bold. It’s also super easy to make. Our brown sugar simple syrup is made with the addition of ground cinnamon and salt for a seriously epic sweetener.
- Place water, brown sugar, cinnamon stick, and salt in a small saucepan.
- Turn heat to medium high and whisk until the brown sugar has dissolved.
- Turn heat down to low and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer into an airtight container and let cool before storing in the fridge for up to 5-7 days.
How to Make Simple Syrup
Simple syrup is a must to keep on hand for cocktails and cakes. Wondering how to make simple syrup? All you need is water, sugar, and a saucepan.
Now it’s time to brew your espresso. Feel free to use a Nespresso machine for this (using an espresso pod); that’s what we did! You’ll need around 2 oz. espresso.
Don’t worry, if you don’t have an espresso maker in your own home, we have some options for you.
- Cold brew espresso – this is premade and readily available at most grocery stores. We recommend the Chameleon brand.
- Instant espresso – comes in a packet that you dilute with water.
- Brew really strong coffee – brew a cup of super strong coffee. You can use a nomral coffee machine or a French press.
What kind of espresso does Starbucks use?
In the actual Starbucks Iced Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso drink, they use their blonde roast.
Oat milk is our choice in non-dairy milk when ordering from coffee shops, specifically Starbucks. And we’re thrilled it’s so easy to find at most coffee shops in the USA.
In March of 2021, Starbucks announced that they’d be serving Oatly at all of their coffee shops. So, if you want to get the most similar taste to the actual drink, we suggest using Oatly Oat Milk Barista Addition.
Other oat milk recommendations include our Homemade Oat Milk recipe or Califia Farms Oatmilk.
Can I use a different kind of milk?
The great thing about this recipe is that it works with any kind of milk. Feel free to use cow’s milk or any other kind of non-dairy milk.
How to Make an Iced Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso
Now that you know what you need for this recipe, here’s a quick rundown on how to make it!
- Make brown sugar simple syrup.
- “Shake” simple syrup with espresso.
- Pour mixture over ice.
- Top with oat milk.
- Stir and enjoy!
Iced Brown Sugar Oat Milk Shaken Espresso
Brown Sugar Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2- oz. espresso* 1/4 cup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar simple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened oat milk
- 1 cup ice separated (feel free to use more ice if it looks better!)
- Add water and brown sugar to a small saucepan and mix.
- Turn to high heat and add cinnamon stick to the saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn the heat to low.
- Let the simple syrup simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Add 1/2 cup of ice to a mason jar and 1/2 cup of ice to a separate glass.
- Next, add espresso and brown sugar simple syrup to the mason jar with the ice. Cover and shake.
- Pour the mixture over the ice in the glass.
- Empty the mason jar and pour the oat milk into the jar.
- Use a frother to froth the oat milk until froth forms.
- Pour the oat milk froth over the espresso, mix, and enjoy.
Tips & Notes
- Can't make espresso at home? Consider using a premade cold brew espresso or using a strong cup of coffee.
Super easy and delicious! I was gifted a Nespresso for Christmas and trying to find all the Starbucks copycat recipes. Easy enough to make minor tweaks depending on your preference too.
This is so simple and easy!! I love knowing that there aren’t any gross fillers in my coffee. I used coconut milk because I didn’t have any oat milk and I only used 1 tbsp of the syrup because I don’t like my coffee super sweet and it turned out perfectly. Can’t wait to make it again!
Wow. I order this drink all the time and I was shocked when I tasted your version! It tastes the same or dare I say maybe better than the drive through! Thank you for this!
Aw Meg, thanks so much for these kind words! We’re so glad you enjoyed our version 😀
Great recipe! Thanks for sharing. I found two tablespoons of the syrup to be too sweet – I would suggest adding no more than one tablespoon to the drink. Will definitely make again!!!
I had very low expectations for this because I don’t have oatmilk or espresso on hand.. but even with the almond milk and instant coffee I had, wow! Amazing. I think I’ll be making this everyday 😅
So glad your subs worked!! So delicious, right?
This taste so much like the Starbucks version! I’m so happy i tried to make this recipe! Will definitely will keep making this from now on.
Dota 2 has been a famous multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) since its release in 2013. Together with its fame, it also became the biggest dota2jackpot and has the most bet on esports today. But because esports betting requires you to deposit money on betting sites, using PayPal for Dota 2 betting is rising to be popular as a payment option.
Wow is this delicious! Super easy too! I used almond milk since thats all I had. Also I didn’t froth it bc I don’t have one of those either. It really didn’t matter though because it tasted fantastic!
Really awesome! Tastes just like Starbucks version!
Such a great little recipe!