When short on time and short on oven space, give this Instant Pot French toast casserole a try! It combines the flavors and textures we love about French toast and cinnamon rolls to create a truly epic brunch recipe.
Our recipe for Instant Pot French toast casserole combines everything we love about French toast with the delicious gooey texture and flavor of a cinnamon roll – and only takes 25 minutes to cook in your Instant Pot. If you’re tight on oven space or don’t have an oven (hello dorm room!), you’ll appreciate how quickly and easily this breakfast recipe comes together.
Combine cubed sourdough bread and walnuts with an almond butter cinnamon drizzle, top it all off with a sprinkle of butter and brown sugar, mix in the eggs and milk, and let the pressure cooker do the rest. While optional, the buttery brown sugar topping cooks to sweet, caramelized perfection and sets this recipe apart. We tested the casserole with and without it and we all preferred the version with the topping!
“I made this recipe with gluten free bread and it was delicious! Kid approved!!” – Jamie
What You Need for Instant Pot French Toast Casserole
There are 3 parts to this homemade French toast casserole – here’s what you need for each:
- Sourdough bread
- Maple syrup
Almond Butter Drizzle
- Almond butter
- Maple syrup
- Coconut oil
The optional topping comes together with cubed, cold butter and brown sugar.
Need Breakfast Inspo?
Subscribe to our emails and get all of our best breakfast recipes straight to your inbox.
French Toast Casserole Variations
Mix up this Instant Pot breakfast casserole with any of these swaps. Instead of:
Sourdough bread, use your favorite kind of bread. We love the chewiness of sourdough and really love the texture it takes in a breakfast bake, but cinnamon raisin or a hearty whole wheat would be delicious. You can’t go wrong!
Maple syrup, try honey.
Walnuts, use the same amount of chopped pecans.
Almond butter, try peanut butter or a mixed nut butter in the topping. Just make sure it’s the drippy, all natural kind.
How can you make this casserole gluten free?
For a gluten free version of French toast casserole, use GF bread. No other changes needed!
Can you make this without nuts?
Absolutely. Simply omit the chopped walnuts from the recipe OR add raisins instead.
How do you know when the casserole is done?
This French toast casserole is done cooking when the mixture is set and lightly golden brown. It takes about 25 minutes to cook through in the Instant Pot.
Store any leftover French toast casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat leftovers, we recommend using the oven. Transfer leftover casserole into an oven-safe baking dish and place in a 350ºF oven until warmed through, about 10-15 minutes. This method prevents soggy leftovers!
We don’t recommend freezing leftovers as the bread will become very soggy once frozen, thawed, and reheated. This casserole is best enjoyed fresh!
Serve this French toast casserole with a side of fresh fruit, hot coffee, and any of your favorite toppings. Some of our go-to French toast toppings are a drizzle of maple syrup, slather of almond butter or peanut butter, or sprinkle of coconut flakes or chocolate chips.
Email Me this Recipe
Share your email, and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus, enjoy weekly doses of recipe inspiration as a bonus!
"*" indicates required fields
Instant Pot French Toast Casserole
Almond Butter Cinnamon Drizzle
- 4 tablespoons butter cold and cubed
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Spray a heat proof 8-inch glass bowl with nonstick cooking spray (this is the bowl you will use to cook your French toast in). Set aside.
- Make the almond butter cinnamon drizzle: In a small bowl, mix together the almond butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, and melted coconut oil. The consistency should be drippy – if not, add additional melted coconut oil 1 teaspoon at a time.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla, and maple syrup together.
- Assemble the French toast casserole: Place half of the bread cubes and half of the walnuts into the prepared glass bowl. Drizzle half of the almond butter cinnamon drizzle over the bread mixture. Add the rest of the bread cubes and walnuts and drizzle the remaining almond butter mixture on top.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes and use a spatula to mix. If adding the optional topping, sprinkle the cubed butter and brown sugar on top.
- Place the metal Instant Pot trivet on the bottom of Instant Pot and pour in 1 cup of water. Place the bowl of the French toast casserole mixture on top of the trivet.
- Lock the Instant Pot and turn the pressure valve to seal. Press manual and turn to high pressure and cook for 25 minutes.
- Quick release and remove Instant Pot cover. Let cool and serve with your favorite French toast toppings.
Tips & Notes
- Storage: Store any leftover French toast casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Nutrition Information: Does not include optional topping.