Make your own healthy french toast sticks with just a few whole ingredients. It’s flavored with french toast classics: maple syrup and cinnamon and kid-friendly! All it takes is 6 ingredients to meal prep these french toast sticks for the week.
These french toast sticks are the perfect and kid friendly breakfast. Looking for more healthy breakfast options for the family? Check out this Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Bake or these Chocolate Covered Strawberry Overnight Oats.
The Best School Lunch
I was totally THAT girl who brought her lunch to school every single day EXCEPT on a few special occasions: Baked Potato Bar, Taco Bar, and French Toast Sticks. Who can help themself? I love those warm, sweet, pre-package sticks of goodness. Honestly though- I don’t want to know what’s in them because I guarantee the ingredient list is longer than I can imagine.
Only 6 Basic Ingredients
These babies are made with 6 basic ingredients and can even be made gluten-free depending on the bread you use. For these guys, I went to the bakery and got some freshly made 9-grain bread and o0o la la, was it tasty!
- Almond Milk
- Ground Cinnamon
- Maple Syrup
- Whole Grain Bread
Let’s Make French Toast Sticks
So this bread was so soft and chewy, perfect for French toast. You could totally purchase a normal whole wheat loaf, but if I were you I’d splurge and get bakery bread. SO GOOD. The texture is always so much better, too!
I kept things light and used unsweetened almond milk if you like things on the sweeter side, go for sweetened almond milk! That would have been delish as well.
I sweetneed the egg mixture with a hint of maple syrup as well as cinnamon and vanilla. THE perfect flavor combination.
This isn’t pictured, but as I was testing this recipe, I topped mine with peanut butter. Go fig, right?
Linley suggested to try and freeze a batch of these puppies for easy access later, and all I have to say is she’s one smart cookie. I literally popped them into the microwave and defrosted for about 3 minute, then cooked them for 30 seconds and they were ready for my belly.
French Toast Recipes
- Stuffed French Toast
- Instant Pot Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole
- Peanut Butter Banana French Toast Bake
- 6 eggs, large
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 8 pieces of whole grain bread
- Begin by whisking together eggs, almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and maple syrup.
- Then, prep your bread by slicing into strips. Set aside.
- Heat a skilling with coconut oil cooking spray to medium heat.
- Dunk each piece of bread into the egg mixture, making sure everything is generously coated on both sides. Place on the skillet and let cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until the bottom turns golden brown. Flip and continue cooking for about 3-5 minutes until everything is cooked all the way through and the second side is golden brown.
Tips & Notes
It’s always better to do this on a lower setting so that things cook evenly. Refrain from putting your burner on high, please!
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 4 french toast sticks Calories: 273 Sugar: 15 Fat: 10 Carbohydrates: 30 Fiber: 4 Protein: 15
Keywords: french toast sticks