You will absolutely love this coffee protein shake recipe. It’s not your average protein shake because it’s made with cold brew coffee, peanut butter, and banana – the ultimate flavor combo!
Best Coffee Protein Shake
I haven’t always been a smoothie girl. If you talk to the other ladies on Team Fit Foodie, they would tell you that I love to start the day off with a piece of arugula toast or a breakfast salad with a hard-boiled egg.
However, protein shakes that are not only flavor-packed, but nutrition-packed like this coffee protein shake are my jam.
Why make this protein shake?
High protein: this protein shake recipe gets you 13g protein per serving!
Favorite flavors: if you are skeptical about coffee + peanut butter + banana, don’t be! You’re going to have to trust us on this one that these flavors are so good.
Easy to make: pop everything into a blender and you’re ready to rock!
Ingredients for Coffee Protein Shake
This coffee protein smoothie recipe is made with 4 ingredient categories. Let’s break it down:
- Frozen fruit
We are huge fans of fruit smoothies, meaning that we don’t like to use ice! Insert – frozen bananas!
Bananas truly are the perfect base for any smoothie. And? They are affordable! Check out our post on how to freeze bananas so you always have them on hand for a quick smoothie ingredient option.
No bananas? No problem. Any frozen fruit will work for this recipe! Yes, the flavor will change, but if you add peanut butter and protein powder to any smoothie recipe you are bound to have one delicious smoothie.
For the coffee, we’re recommending a cold-brew coffee concentrate because it is intense in flavor and you don’t need a lot. However, you can also use chilled drip coffee or even chilled French press coffee. Just make sure that you brew it strong.
Not only do you get a huge boost of protein from protein powder in this smoothie, but also from peanut butter! Peanut butter is super high in protein and healthy fats and it really makes the flavor out of this world. Feel free to use any kind.
As for the protein powder- everybody has their opinion on protein powder. You can use either chocolate protein powder (for more of a mocha flavor) or vanilla protein powder.
Any protein powder will work for this smoothie. You do you and use your favorite protein in this healthy breakfast smoothie! We support you completely.
How to Make a Coffee Protein Shake
Smoothie making might be the easiest thing you’ve ever done. It takes less than 5 minutes and you only need one kitchen tool- a blender!
- Place all of your ingredients into a high-speed blender.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Add more almond milk as needed to thin out your smoothie to your liking.
Coffee Protein Shake Recipe
- 1 large frozen banana
- 2 tablespoons all-natural creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup powder both vanilla and chocolate are delicious
- ¼ cup cold brew concentrate*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or more, to taste
- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender.
- Blend protein shake on high for about 60 seconds or until smooth.
- Option to add more almond milk as needed to thin out your smoothie.
- Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- cold brew: make sure to buy a cold brew concentrate. Concentrates are much stronger than diluted cold brew. You can also use strong brewed coffee. Just make sure to chill it first.
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Erin from The Wooden Skillet.