This skirt steak marinade is easy to make and is packed with flavorful ingredients. Use it to marinate skirt steak for any skirt steak recipe.
Easy Skirt Steak Marinade
Elevate steak night at your house by marinating skirt steak in this easy skirt steak marinade. It will add great flavor to the steak without overpowering the natural steak flavors. This marinade will also keep the beef moist and delicious.
Be sure to check out our skirt steak recipe for a full meal idea!
why should I marinate skirt steak?
Tenderize: marinating skirt steak is a must. It is a tougher piece of beef that benefits from being marinated in citrus and/or a vinegar-based product.
Adds flavor: this marinade will infuse the skirt steak with tons of juicy flavors, complimenting the steak’s natural flavors.
Worcestershire sauce: Worcestershire is a vinegar-based sauce that has ingredients like anchovies, garlic, tamarind, and other ingredients that make a salty sauce that goes perfectly with skirt steak.
Garlic: adding fresh garlic to any marinade adds so much flavor. We don’t recommend subbing garlic powder.
Lime juice: a little citric acid adds balance to this marinade.
Fresh cracked black pepper: we highly recommend using freshly cracked black pepper in this marinade to set it over the top with pepper flavor.
Kosher salt: salt enhances the flavor of each ingredient but also helps to tenderize the skirt steak.
Brown sugar: a little sweet to balance out all of the salty ingredients.
Coriander: this spice adds a bit of earthiness and a boost of flavor to this skirt steak.
How to Marinate Skirt Steak (3 Steps)
- Combine: simply combine all of the ingredients in a bowl or jar and mix to combine.
- Marinate: Place the skirt steak into a dish or large gallon-size bag and pour in the marinade. Make sure that all sides are nice and coated.
- Let sit: Let steak marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
Skirt Steak Marinade 101
How long should you marinate skirt steak?
We recommend marinating skirt steak for at least two hours or overnight for best results.
What is the best way to tenderize skirt steak?
Tenderize a skirt steak with a meat tenderizer and then allow it to marinate. The salt and acid will help tenderize the meat.
Can skirt steak be marinated too long?
Yes, there is no need to marinate skirt steak any longer than 24 hours. Be sure never to reuse marinade.
How to Prepare Marinated Skirt Steak
Replace the flank steak in this grilled flank steak recipe with this skirt steak for a delicious grilled skirt steak and serve it next to grilled corn on the cob.
Use skirt steak in these steak fajitas! Skirt steak and flank steak are both great cuts of meat.
Juicy Skirt Steak Marinade
- 2 lbs. skirt steak ~2 long, thin steaks
- Lay the skirt steak down on a cutting board and pound the skirt steak with a meat tenderizer to make the steak the same thickness, about ½ -1 inch thick. Season the meat with salt and massage the salt into the meat with your hands. Transfer the steak to a plastic bag or a baking dish.
- Next, grind black peppercorns in a mortar in a pestle or in a coffee grinder. Be sure the peppercorns are ground into small pieces and not a powder. Transfer the black peppercorns to a bowl. Add the garlic, coriander, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice, and olive oil to the peppercorns and whisk all these ingredients together.
- Pour the mixture over the beef and massage the marinade into the beef. Let the beef sit in the marinade overnight.
- Remove the steak from the fridge and let the beef come to room temperature. Follow this skirt steak recipe for the remaining instructions.
Tips & Notes
- If you like fully cooked steak, be sure to cook the steak longer on each side.
- This steak would be delicious and served with chimichurri.
- You can mince this meat and make steak tacos.
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Ashley McGlaughlin from The Edible Perspective.