Sous vide steak is the ONLY way to eat steak. We are obsessed with the perfectly cooked goodness of sous vide steak. It’s as easy as 1-2-3.
Why We Love Sous Vide Steak
If this is your first time cooking sous vide, don’t panic. We talk more about the sous vide in general in our Mongolian Sous Vide Flank Steak post. Stop what you’re doing and go check it out!
Sous vide steak is the ultimate way to eat steak. It is perfectly cooked every single time. Why? Because you cook the steak at a perfect (to me) 130ºF. The WHOLE steak will be medium-rare. Not just the middle.
If you’ve ever ordered a steak at a fancy restaurant and it came out fairly quickly, it was probably sous vide. Especially if it was perfectly cooked throughout the whole piece of meat.
The sous vide has been a restaurant tool for a while and we’re all just catching up!
We Love Eating Steak for Dinner
I don’t know about you, but when I make steak at home, I feel like it is a treat. I try to light candles and style my plate like they do if I was at a fancy steakhouse because steak is fancy, right? HA.
Ever since I met Cole, he has made “fancy” steak dinners and smoked meat more approachable. It makes cooking meat at home fun and SUPER tasty. Cole is my inspiration for this recipe!
Cole’s parents gifted us a sous vide a couple of years ago for Christmas and we have only prepared steak sous vide, since. Any other way just isn’t as good!
This sous vide steak is our new favorite meal and we LOVE serving it with our serving this sous vide steak with chimichurri sauce.
It is perfectly cooked and the flavor of the chimichurri sauce takes this steak to the next level. Make the chimichurri sauce NOW and keep it in your refrigerator for when you make a sous vide steak.
How to Make Sous Vide Steak
Step 1: First, fill a large container with water and attach the sous vide to the container. Set the sous vide to 130ºF and let the water come to temperature.
Step 2: Salt and pepper the steak and let the steak sit for 10-15 minutes. Then place the steak into a stasher bag, Ziploc, or food saver bag with butter and herbs.
Step 3: Place steak into the sous vide and let it sous vide for at LEAST 2 hours. You can leave it in the water for up to 8 hours.
Step 4: Remove steak from the sous vide, discard liquid in the bag, and set steak aside on a plate.
Step 5: Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat and add two tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. When olive oil is fragrant, add steak to the pan and sear for one minute on each side.
Step 6: Remove from heat and let the steak sit for 10 minutes. Serve with chimichurri and enjoy!
We’ve Got the Answers
How long does it take to sous vide a steak? Sous vide steak becomes tender after being in the water bath for at least 2 hours. However, don’t hesitate to mix things up and keep the steak in the sous vide for up to 8 hours.
What temperature do you sous vide steak? We set the sous vide to 130ºF (which is the internal temperature for rare steak), because we sear the steak for 1 minute on each side which brings the internal temperature up to about 140ºF which is medium-rare. It all depends on how you like your steak. Set the sous vide about 5 degrees lower than you want your internal temp to be.
- Rare- 130ºF
- Medium Rare- 140ºF
- Medium- 155ºF
- Well Done- 165ºF
Can you overcook steak sous vide? You can not overcook steak in the sous vide. You can overcook the steak if you decide to broil, sear, or grill the steak afterward!
How to sear a sous vide steak- We love to use a cast iron skillet to sear our steaks. It gets hot really fast and leaves the perfect amount of char on the steak. Add olive oil or butter to the cast iron skillet. When the oil or butter has melted and is fragrant and the steak to the pan and cook for one minute on each side.
Here’s a tip–> Basting the steak can add tremendous flavor! To baste your steak add a little extra butter and a couple of sprigs of fresh herbs (we love thyme and rosemary) to the skillet after you add the meat to the skillet.
When butter melts take a spoon and spoon butter over the top of the steak throughout the 2 minutes it is in the pan!
Sous Vide Recipes
Sous Vide Steak Video
Sous Vide Grilled Steak
Sous vide steak is the ONLY way to eat steak. We are obsessed with the perfectly cooked goodness of sous vide steak. Set a water bath, put in the steak, sear the steak, and boom. You have the most perfectly cooked steak in all the lands.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 2 1/2-lb. New York strip steaks*
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 2 herb sprigs (rosemary, thyme, or oregano)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- First, prepare sous vide water bath by filling a large pot with water. The pot needs to be large enough to hold your steak and the water needs to be deep enough to hit the water line on your sous vide. Next, place your sous vide into the water bath and set the temperature to 130ºF (this is for medium-rare steak).
- Next, generously salt and pepper both sides of the steak and place steak into a medium-sized Stasher bag or Food Saver bag. Each steak should be placed in its own bag, so if you’re cooking 4 steaks, use 4 bags.
- Next, add around 1 tablespoon of butter on top of each steak and a sprig of herb.
- Remove air from all of the bags and seal. If you’re using a Stasher bag, try your best to remove as much air as you can.
- Place steak into water bath and cook at 130ºF for 2-10 hours*.
- Remove the steak from the water bath and place steak on a plate.
- Now it’s time to sear the steak for that amazing texture. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add the olive oil.*
- When olive oil is fragrant, place steak in the pan. Sear for 1 minute per side and immediately remove from heat.
- Serve with chimichurri or a delicious vegetable side.
- You can technically cook as many steaks at once as you’d like.
- Option to leave the steak in the sous vide for up to 10 hours for ultra tender steak, but 2 hours is just perfect, as well! Both will come out medium rare.
- You can also sear steak on the grill by heating the grill to 450ºF and searing the steak on each side for 1 minute.
- Check out this temperature chart by Spruce Eats for other temperature options.
- We tested this recipe with a 1/2 lb. New york strip, .7 lb ribeye, and a 1 lb tbone and they all turned out perfectly!
- Serving Size: 1/4
- Calories: 739
- Sugar: 0
- Fat: 55
- Carbohydrates: 1
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 58