Healthy Rice Pudding

I think I need to rename this post to: “a dessert so healthy you an eat it for breakfast!”

Seriously. So healthfully delicious!

Healthy Rice Pudding #healthy #glutenfree #fitfluential

The best part about this recipe is that you probably already have all of these wonderful flavors in your kitchen. It makes my heart warm just thinking about it melting on my tongue.

Healthy Rice Pudding
Prep time
  • 1 cup short grain brown rice
  • 3 cups almond milk or milk of choice + 1 cup (divided)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2-3 tablespoons of organic cane sugar or coconut palm sugar
  1. Combine all ingredients, but 1 cup of milk in a rice cooker and set timer to "brown rice." Let cook until timer turns off or all water is evaporated. Add 1 more cup of milk and mix. Serve hot.

As you read in the above recipe, I used a rice cooker. I haven’t gone a week without using that thing since I got it. You literally mix all of the ingredients in the rice cooker, turn it on, and walk away.

If you don’t have one, no fret! You can still make this recipe. All you’ll need is a medium size pot and a stove. You’ll want to use the exact same measurements as above. First, bring 1 cup of rice, 3 cups of milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon to a rolling boil. Then, cover and turn to low and let simmer until all liquid has absorbed. I’m guessing this will take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. Finally, add in an additional cup of milk and serve hot.

Healthy Rice Pudding #healthy #glutenfree #fitfluential

If you like raisins, you and cook them right into this. Add in about 1/3 cup of raisins at the beginning and you’re good to go. Or- just add them on top like I did!

Healthy Rice Pudding #healthy #glutenfree #fitfluential

So what makes this recipe so healthy? I made some major swaps!

• I used brown rice instead of white rice
  • I used almond milk instead of cream or whole milk
  • I used no additional fats (like butter or oil)
  • Healthy Rice Pudding #healthy #glutenfree #fitfluential

Breakfast time?

Happy Tuesday!

PS: I had to bring a sweatshirt with my yesterday because the temperatures are chilly here. Sad face. Summer- you will be missed!

Subscribe by email to get free recipes and workouts delivered straight to your inbox!

It’s crazy how much you use a rice cooker once you have one. I never thought I’d have so many uses for mine until I started using it, and found I could cook nearly everything I wanted to in it. This rice pudding sounds so comforting, and I bet nobody will ever miss the extra fat/sugar/other extraneous rice pudding ingredients.

I was actually thinking about that yesterday. I am not sure if you could make that in a crock pot because rice cookers get much hotter. If I find any info on that I’ll let you know!

OMG I cannot wait to make this! I have been wanting to make a sweet rice in my rice cooker and so excited to try this out. I’m so bad at cooking rice on the stove, hence why I have a rice cooker and I love it. Thanks for sharing!

3. sjpapmom says

I would omit sugar and add stevia and raisins, craisins, chopped prunes or chopped dates for sweetness. sells a convenient squeezable liquid stevia.

This is one of my favorite things to make with leftover brown rice. Sometimes I add a little cardamom too or use full fat coconut milk to make it extra rich and creamy. This just seriously gave me a craving since it’s chilly here today!

5. Christine says

YUM! Quick question: I have some quick-cooking (10-12 min as opposed to the full 45 min) brown rice on hand, and I believe it calls for less liquid than traditional brown rice. Could I use that instead and just reduce the amount of milk?

I love a warm rice pudding during the winter! I just pinned this so I can give it a go. I’m a huge fan of brown rice! I think the almond milk would work perfectly here, I truly prefer the nutty flavour. So yummy. Great recipe. And I think raisins are a must with rice pudding!

Hey there! This is my first visit to your blog!

We are a collection of volunteers and starting a
    new project in a community in the same niche. Your blog
    provided us valuable information to work on.

You have done a marvellous job!

8. Sara U says

I just made this exactly as the recipe says and the rice didn’t cook very soft… I’m so disappointed! Are you supposed to precook the rice or soak it?

Oh no! So you used a rice cooker? Did you use short grain brown rice? What I would do is throw it in a pot, add more almond milk and continue to let it simmer on the stove top. If the rice it still hard, it just means you need to cook it longer and probably add more liquid. Try that!

• Sara U says

Yes I used my rice cooker. I ate it, the rice was crunchy, but it tasted delicious despite the texture… I’m not sure if it was short or long grain because my husband got it from a bulk bin and doesn’t remember…

9. Laura says

I have a question I saw the recipes for the rice pudding, and it said to use 3 cups of almond milk but the direction said to use 1 cup of milk in to the rice and add another milk in the end?

Hi! So sorry if the instructions weren’t clear. You combine all ingredients which includes the first 3 cups of milk. Let it cook in the rice cooker and then when it’s done cooking, add in the last cup of milk! So in total you are using 4 cups of milk. Does that make sense?

10. Luba McNabb says

I, Thanks for posting this recipe. I was wondering what kind of rice cooker you have. Mine is not a good one as it burns on the bottom everytime I use it unless I pull it out right away when its done. Thanks Luba

A local florist will help you discover the right
    fresh flowers for almost any event. You could visit
    the store yourself as well as choose your flowers to produce
    an arrangement a lot more personal with a nearby florist. Working using
    a district florist is going develop a personal relationship by means of your florist.
    This relationship may create a huge distinction whenever you’ve a need to get a flower delivery auckland shop who’ll identify with what
    you’re seeking and make great tips for for family occasions like weddings funerals,
    or alternative events which occur as time goes on. One more benefit of operating using a neighborhood florist
    is you are not unable to see how things will soon be done.
    Whenever you’re looking for the best florist for
    your subsequent flowery shipping, the culture of florists
    indicate the following tips for you:

12. Jade says

Made this today and it was delicious! I don’t have a rice cooker, so used a saucepan on the stove. Quick tip if doing it on the stove you don’t need to leave the lid on the moisture wouldn’t absorb for me, when I took the lid off it took about 45 minutes.
    Thanks for the great recipe :)

13. tara says

This is so good! I love rice pudding, but its a no no if youre dieting. then I found this recipe and my life is complete, thank you! I was wondering if you could tell me the nutrition facts, or the calories this whole recipe has?