It’s that time of year to cozy up with a hot cup of tea and a delicious bowl of healthy rice pudding. Our vegan rice pudding recipe is made with brown rice, all-natural sweeteners, almond milk, and warm spices!
The leaves literally changed overnight here in Minneapolis. We left for Milwaukee on Friday and everything was green. We got home late Sunday and wabam…there are yellows and oranges and reds showing up everywhere. Guys this makes my heart so happy. Now, if only we could get the leaves to stay that way forever!
Today we’re talking all things rice pudding…vegan rice pudding to be exact! Rice pudding is a second cousin to oatmeal, especially when you use a whole grain like brown rice. It’s chewy, slightly sweet, and healthy enough to eat for breakfast…if you make it our way! This healthy stovetop rice pudding recipe calls for just a few simple, whole ingredients. Here’s what you need:
Vegan Rice Pudding Ingredients
- brown rice (we used long grain)
- almond milk
- maple syrup
- ground cinnamon
If you’re a spicy lady like we are, feel free to add more spices. You could even mix things up a bit and add a bit of pumpkin pie spice or even chai spice. You’ll notice that we did not use any refined sugars in this recipe and only used maple! This is not only better for you, but also keeps things 100% plant-based, which is oh-so-good for our environment.
Step 1: Bring Rice Pudding to a Boil
Place brown rice, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt in a medium pot. Bring to a rolling boil.
Step 2: Let simmer
Cover the pot with its lid and turn the heat down to low. Let simmer for 45 minutes then add 1 more cup of almond milk and mix. Let simmer for 15 more minutes.
Step 3: Serve!
Serve brown rice pudding hot with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon and a splash of almond milk. If you’re eating this recipe for breakfast, I suggest adding a nut butter like cashew butter or peanut butter and a handful of raisins or nuts.
Rice Pudding Recipes
- Healthy Pumpkin Rice Pudding
- Healthy Vanilla Almond Milk Latte Rice Pudding
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (or more, depending on how sweet you like your rice pudding)
- Place 1 cup brown rice 3 cups of almond milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, a pinch of salt, and 3 tablespoons of maple syrup in a medium pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to low and cover pot with lid. Let simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1 more cup of almond milk and let simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes or until rice is soft and chewy.
- Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon and optional almond milk.
Tips & Notes
- Option to use any kind of milk.
- Option to sub honey for maple syrup (note: would not be vegan).
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 Calories: 224 Sugar: 10 Fat: 4 Carbohydrates: 44 Fiber: 2 Protein: 4
Keywords: vegan rice pudding, rice pudding