Made with just 5 ingredients, pumpkin rice pudding is a delightfully warm and cozy fall recipe. Serve it for dessert or even try it for breakfast!
We like to make this seasonal pumpkin rice pudding on cooler days because it’s comforting, cozy, and always satisfies that sweet tooth!
“I stumbled upon this recipe and just had to make it. I was craving the comfort of rice pudding, and the adding pumpkin was a no-brainer. I’m so glad this combination exists! Thank you so much for sharing!” – Bree
What is in pumpkin rice pudding?
This pumpkin pie variation on rice pudding comes together with a just a few simple ingredients you likely have on hand:
- Short grain brown rice
- Almond milk
- Maple syrup
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Pumpkin purée
Love desserts? Us too! Subscribe to our emails and get all of our best desserts straight to your inbox.
Pumpkin Rice Pudding Substitutions
Try any of these rice pudding ingredient swaps:
Rice: Instead of short grain brown rice, use regular brown rice. Start with about 1/2 cup less almond milk (so about 1.5 cups) and add more as needed until the rice is done cooking.
Milk: Any dairy or non-dairy milk works great. Oat milk would be delicious!
Sweetener: Replace the maple syrup with the same amount of honey (the rice pudding won’t be vegan if making this change).
Spices: Use store-bought or homemade pumpkin pie spice.
Is rice pudding dessert or breakfast?
Rice pudding is typically a dessert, but this pumpkin rice pudding could totally pass for breakfast! Top with sliced banana, fresh berries, spiced nuts, and a drizzle of maple syrup for the ultimate fall breakfast.
How can you thin out rice pudding?
Rice pudding is supposed to be pretty thick. Once cooked, if it’s too thick for your liking, add 1-2 tablespoons of additional milk at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
Pumpkin pie rice pudding tastes great as leftovers! Let the rice pudding cool completely, transfer to an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
When ready to reheat, transfer the rice pudding into a medium pot set over low heat. Mix in about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk and heat until warmed through, stirring occasionally.
Top bowls of pumpkin rice pudding with a drizzle of milk or maple syrup, sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice, or handful of toasted pumpkin seeds. You can’t go wrong!
Pumpkin Rice Pudding
- Place brown rice, 2 cups almond milk, maple syrup, and pumpkin pie spice in a medium pot over high heat. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and cover. Let simmer for 30-35 minutes (there should still be some liquid left).
- Mix in the pumpkin and continue to simmer for an additional 10-20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through and the consistency is thick.
- Mix in the remaining 1/2 cup of almond milk. Serve hot with a splash of milk on top.
Tips & Notes
- Storage: Let the rice pudding cool completely, transfer to an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- To Reheat: Transfer the rice pudding into a medium pot set over low heat. Mix in about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk and heat until warmed through, stirring occasionally.