Looking for a delicious oatmeal cookie recipe that packs whole grains and other real ingredients? Have your cookie and eat it, too! Get the best of both worlds with these 100% whole grain chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies — something healthy and something sweet.
We’ve been on a mission these past few weeks to figure out a way to make a healthier version of oatmeal cookies. And to be completely honest, we totally winged this recipe the first time we tested it. We knew we had a few must haves for these healthy oatmeal cookies before we started, and then just built from there.
Our Healthy Oatmeal Cookies Must Haves
- Made with some kind of whole wheat flour
- Made “healthier” by lowering the amount of sugar we used
- Be chewy, not crunchy
- Involve chocolate
And to achieve this, we looked to our baking pantry staples that we try to have on hand at all times:
Healthy Baking Pantry Staples
- Rolled Oats
- White Whole Wheat Flour
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- All Natural Peanut Butter
- Maple Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
Classic oatmeal cookies involve LOTS of brown sugar and butter. We started by playing with different ways to sweeten the cookies, as well as using part coconut oil and part butter. Let’s just say that the first three batches of these cookies that we tested were hard as bricks. We could have used them as hockey pucks..if we played hockey.
We took multiple trips to the grocery store, and on round #8 we nailed it. We discovered that cookies are better with butter and that it’s A-OK to use a little brown sugar (just not a TON). We found that using mini chocolate chips left smaller air pockets in the cookies, which allowed them to stay a bit more moist. We also realized we were totally over whipping the eggs and that you must use quick oats or pulse the oats in a food processor a bit before you start mixing up a batch of cookies–it seriously made a world of difference!
We just developed this oatmeal cookie recipe 2 weeks ago and we’ve already made them five times for friends + events. It is definitely a new favorite in the Fit Foodie kitchen. Enjoy!
Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Looking for a delicious oatmeal cookie recipe that packs whole grains and other real ingredients? Have your cookie and eat it, too! You get the best of both worlds with these 100% whole grain chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies — something healthy and something sweet.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 24
- 1.5 cups rolled oats, lightly pulverized (or quick cooking oats)
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup non-salted butter
- 1 cup organic brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place oats into a food processor and blend for 15-20 seconds to lightly pulverize, shredding them into smaller pieces. If you’re using quick cooking oats, omit this step.
- Add oats and the rest of the dry ingredients into a medium size bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar together with a hand mixer.
- Add egg and continue mixing. Scrape the sides of the bowl, add vanilla, and mix until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add dry ingredients (everything but the chocolate chips) to wet ingredients, 1/4 cup at a time, mixing on low. Last, fold in mini chocolate chips.
- Using a tablespoon cookie scoop, roll dough into ball and slightly flatten between your palms. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven, let cool, and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 122
- Sugar: 10
- Fat: 5
- Carbohydrates: 18
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 2
Other Fit Foodie Finds Healthy Cookie Recipes
- Healthy Monster Cookies
- Flourless Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Paleo Cashew Butter Cookies
- Healthy Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies
- Healthier M&M Cookies
- Healthy Soft Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
- Healthy Sugar Cookie Cut-Outs
- Double Chocolate Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
- Grain Free Peanut Butter Blossoms
- High Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies