Start the day off right with this creamy strawberry chia seed smoothie! This wholesome smoothie is packed with plenty of fruit, protein-packed Greek yogurt, and chia seeds for great flavor and texture.
We love smoothies here at Fit Foodie HQ! Featuring wholesome, real ingredients, they’re an easy way to enjoy a nourishing meal without much time on your hands. Smoothies are our go-to for busy mornings, throughout our postpartum journeys, and anytime we’re craving fresh fruits and veggies. Simply throw all of the smoothie ingredients together in the blender and it’s ready in no time!
This strawberry chia seed smoothie is a unique twist on our strawberry banana smoothie. It has the same great flavors with the addition of chia seeds for extra protein and texture. For best chia seed smoothie results, mix in the the chia seeds last, after you’ve blended up the other ingredients. This prevents the chia seeds from breaking down and lets them thicken up. The result? An ultra thick, creamy, and refreshing smoothie!
“Super yummy! I added a scoop of vanilla plant-based protein power; will be making again!” – Robyn
What is in this chia seed smoothie?
You only need 6 simple ingredients for this strawberry chia seed smoothie:
Strawberries: Frozen strawberries ensure a creamy and thick smoothie. If you don’t have frozen berries on hand, freeze them before making this smoothie or blend in a handful of ice before adding the chia seeds.
Banana: Adds sweetness and flavor. Use a fresh or frozen banana in this smoothie.
Yogurt: We love making our smoothies with creamy, protein-packed Greek yogurt.
Milk: Any kind of milk works! We like to use unsweetened almond milk, but feel free to use oat milk, soy milk, cashew milk, regular milk, or even orange juice!
Vanilla: A splash of vanilla extract adds welcome flavor.
Chia Seeds: Add texture and protein.
Need Breakfast Inspo?
Subscribe to our emails and get all of our best breakfast recipes straight to your inbox.
Chia Seed Smoothie Variations
Our smoothies are some of the most versatile recipes on Fit Foodie! Use this chia seed smoothie recipe as a starting point and customize it to your liking. Here are a few add-ins and variations to try:
- Berries: Replace the strawberries with blueberries or use half strawberries and half blueberries/raspberries/blackberries.
- Yogurt: Use your favorite kind! Vanilla, honey, strawberry, or even banana would be delicious in this smoothie.
- Protein: For a protein boost, add about 1/4 cup of your favorite protein powder. Here is our guide to the best protein powders for smoothies.
- Nut Butter: Add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, or any kind of nut butter for a little twist.
- Greens: Add a handful of spinach or kale.
- Oats: Add 1 tablespoon of whole grain oats for texture.
- Vegan/Dairy Free: Swap the Greek yogurt for a non-dairy yogurt.
How do you make smoothies thicker?
For ultra thick and creamy smoothies, use frozen (instead of fresh) fruit. If you don’t have frozen fruit, freeze the fruit yourself or add ice at the end.
Can you leave out the chia seeds?
Definitely! If you aren’t a fan of chia seeds or don’t have them on hand, simply leave them out or use the same amount of ground flaxseed instead.
What is the best blender for smoothies?
Any high-speed blender (like a Vitamix) is great for smoothies. It’s powerful enough to blend up the frozen fruit into a smooth, creamy texture.
This chia seed smoothie is best enjoyed fresh. Feel free to cover it and refrigerate overnight, but it will become super thick the longer it sits!
The best way we’ve found to freeze smoothies is to turn them into smoothie popsicles! For all of our tips and tricks, here’s our post all about meal-prep smoothie popsicles.
Enjoy this refreshing strawberry chia seed smoothie at home or on the go for a nourishing breakfast or snack. Because it has to rest for a few minutes, this is a great smoothie to make on your way out the door in the morning and drink on the way to school, work, etc. For a little something extra, top it with fresh berries, banana slices, and a sprinkle of chia seeds.
Creamy Strawberry Chia Seed Smoothie
- Place all ingredients except the chia seeds in a blender.
- Blend until smooth. Add the chia seeds and gently pulse until they're mixed in.
- Pour into a glass and let the smoothie "rest" for a few minutes so the chia seeds can expand. Enjoy!
Tips & Notes
- Storage: This chia seed smoothie is best enjoyed fresh. Feel free to cover it and refrigerate overnight, but it will become super thick!
- Freezing Instructions: The best way we’ve found to freeze smoothies is to turn them into smoothie popsicles! For all of our tips and tricks, here’s our post all about meal-prep smoothie popsicles.