Looking for fall snacks? Look no further, this delicious chai chex mix should do the trick. It has many ingredients that you’d find in an original chex mix, but with a delicious chai spice mix and other sweet mix ins.
Flavorful Chai Chex Mix
This chai chex mix is one of our favorite fall snacks. First off, who doesn’t love chex mix? It’s the perfect salty (but light) snack for any occasion. Who doesn’t crave a little something sweet every now and then.
No joke, this chai chex mix is the prefect combination of salty, sweet, crunchy, and light. Get ready for the best tasty fall snack.
things to remember for this fall snack
- Be patient, sometimes baking chex mix can test your patience but it’s worth it.
- Don’t skip the chai spice. It’s so incredibly delicious.
- We have picked out all of the different ingredients for the perfect combination for this chex mix, but you can always substitute.
- You can make this fall snack and use it for an easy fall snack for yourself or package it up and give it away as gifts.
Love desserts? Us too! Subscribe to our emails and get all of our best desserts straight to your inbox.
Ingredients for Chai Chex Mix
Just like every recipe, the ingredients are important. Chex mix is a tricky beast because there is an ingredient list to follow, but you can also tailor make it into the perfect combination of what you’d like.
For all fall snacks we try to focus on fall flavors and spices. We used cinnamon flavored cereals and spice mixes for the perfect combination. If you are out of something, when in doubt find something that is cinnamon flavored and you’ll be golden.
- Rice chex- it’s in the name, people. Don’t skip the chex in chex mix. It adds a light and crispy texture and it is the perfect ingredient that captures little bits of spicy and crunch.
- Cinnamon cheerios- you can’t go wrong with cinnamon Cheerios. If you are feeling adventurous, go ahead and try the apple cinnamon Cheerios.
- Coconut flakes- the coconut flakes add texture, healthy fats, and beautiful color to this chex mix.
- Almonds– oh baby, a chex mix wouldn’t be the same without a nut. We love whole raw almonds, but you can use whatever nuts are available to you.
- Pretzel sticks – the salty of this chai chex mix are these pretzel sticks. We went with sticks because they add a fun texture and shape to the mix, but you can use any type of pretzel.
- Salted butter– don’t skip the butter. The butter is the key to make your chex mix light and crispy.
- Brown sugar– we create a kind of syrup when we developed this recipe. The brown sugar is a part of the syrup that makes the chex mix light and delicious.
- Maple syrup– another delicious fall ingredient is maple syrup. Just a little goes a long way.
- Chai spices- they key ingredient to this chai chex mix are the spices. We highly suggest making our homemade chai spice mix, but you can use a store bought version if you want to.
- Kosher or flaked salt– oh baby, don’t skip the salt. It brings this recipe to the next level.
- Yogurt covered pretzels– you add the yogurt covered pretzels right when you take the chex mix out of the oven. The yogurt melts a bit and creates these delicious sweet chunks of chex mix that will blow your mind.
A Quick Look: How to Make Chai Chex Mix
- Prepare ingredients. Add the rice chex, cheerios ,1 cup coconut flakes, almonds, and pretzel sticks to a large bowl and mix so they are combined. Set them aside. You are going to mix all of these ingredients with a delicious chai syrup before baking.
- Make the syrup. It’s time to make the chai and butte mixture that takes this recipe to the next level. You heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add butter. When the butter is melted add the brown sugar, ¾ cup maple syrup, and 1 tablespoon chai spices to the saucepan. Whisk all the ingredients together and bring to a boil.
- Combine Ingredients. After you make the delicious syrup you pour the syrup over the ingredients you’ve mixed together and toss all the ingredients together until everything is covered in syrup.
- Bake. Pour the mixture over a baking sheet covered in parchment paper and spread the mixture out. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of the salt over the chex mix and then Bake for 15 minutes at 320ºF.
- Add more maple syrup. Remove from the oven and toss. Drizzle the rest of the maple syrup over the chex mix and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Finally, remove the chai chex mix from the oven and add the rest of the ingredients. This is when your yogurt pretzels will melt a bit to create those sweet chunks of all the ingredients that are so delicious.
Want a crispier chai chex mix?
If you want a batch of chai chex mix that is a crispier and boarder line burnt (trust me, so people love it) broil your chex mix for 2-3 minutes before adding the rest of your ingredients.
Homemade Chex Mix Reminders
Homemade Chai Spices are KEY
Again, store bought chai spices are ok, but our homemade chai spices are so easy to make and they are the perfect combination for any recipe with chai spice. And? You probably have everything you need right now in your spice cabinet.
Ingredient substitutions are OK
Don’t fret if you don’t have everything on the ingredient list. Get in the zone and choose things you love. Below are some other great ingredient options you could go with.
- Chocolate chips
- Chocolate covered raisins
- Any cinnamon ceral
Every oven is different
Believe it or not, every oven is different. Watch your chex mix and monitor how golden it’s getting. If it’s not crispy enough, toss and mix it longer.
Let your chex mix cool completely before storing it in a plastic airtight bag. You can store it on the counter for up to 2 weeks as long as it’s sealed properly.
Give it as a gift. Give this chai Chex mix away as a a delicious fall treat to someone who deserves it. Store it in a mason jar and tie a cute little ribbon on it.
Freeze Chex Mix to Keep it Fresh
If you want your Chex mix to last a while, keep it in the freezer and it will last up to 3 months.
Maple Chai Chex Mix
- Preheat the oven to 320ºF and line a baking sheet with sides with parchment paper.
- Add the rice chex, cheerios,1 cup coconut flakes, almonds, and pretzel sticks to a large bowl and mix. Set aside.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add butter.
- When the butter is melted add the brown sugar, ¾ cup maple syrup, and 1 tablespoon chai spices to the saucepan. Whisk all the ingredients together and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let it sit for 1 minute and then pour it over the chex mixture.
- Add the rest of the chai spices to the bowl and mix all of the ingredients until everything is covered in the melted butter mixture.
- Pour the coated ingredients over the parchment paper and spread it evenly over the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle everything with ½ teaspoon kosher salt and place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and toss the ingredients and spread them evenly over the baking sheet.
- Drizzle the remaining ¼ cup of maple syrup over the chex mix and place it back in the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the chex mix from the oven, sprinkle with the remaining ½ teaspoon of kosher salt, and let it cool for 10 minutes before adding the yogurt covered pretzels and the remaining ½ cup of shaved coconut to the chex mix.
- Carefully fold the ingredients together while trying to leave chunks of chex mix intact.
- Let cool completely before storing it in an airtight container.