This vibrant Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe is packed with all the flavors you love in traditional egg rolls, but is deconstructed and served in a bowl for a healthy and delicious alternative. No deep frying!
This recipe is low carb and grain-free! Does it get any better?!
Deconstructed Egg Rolls!
HOW FUN! Whether you’re looking for a low carb option or just a healthier egg roll without the deep frying, this egg roll in a bowl recipe is for you! It’s packed with delicious fresh veggies + all the flavors you love in a traditional egg roll. And did we mention they’re not deep fried?! 😉
Egg Roll in a Bowl Ingredients
- Soy sauce
- Chili garlic sauce
- Honey (this is optional, but we love the slight sweetness it adds!)
- Rice vinegar
- Sesame seeds
- Olive oil
- Shredded carrots
- Shredded cabbage
- Red onion
- Sliced pea pods
Meat & Eggs
- Ground turkey (any ground meat will work for this recipe!)
How to Make an Egg Roll in a Bowl
These deconstructed egg rolls are easy to whip up, and reheat just as well, making them a great option for serving a crowd or meal prepping for the week. Let’s walk ya through it:
Whisk up the Sauce!
Start by placing all of the ingredients for the sauce into a small bowl and whisk all of the ingredients together until combined. Then, set the sauce aside for later.
Cook Ground Turkey
Next, heat a large skillet over medium/high heat and add olive oil. Once the olive oil is fragrant, add the ground turkey and cook until the turkey is no longer pink, making sure to break the ground turkey into small pieces as it cooks.
Sauté the Veggies
Then, add shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, sliced red onion, and the sauce to the pan and mix everything together. Keep the pea pods out of the pan for now! You’ll sauté those in a bit. Cook everything together on medium for 3-5 minutes, stirring every minute or so.
Push the meat and vegetables to the side of the pan, and crack 2 eggs into the empty side of the pan. Using a spatula, scramble the eggs while they cook. When the eggs are fully cooked, fold them into the meat and vegetables, mixing everything together thoroughly.
Time for Pea Pods!
Finally, add the pea pods to the pan and let them cook with all of the other ingredients for 1 minute. You’ll want to wait to add the pea pods til right now to ensure that they don’t get mushy in the sautéing process!
Serve and Enjoy!
Remove the pan from heat and top with optional sesame seeds, green onion, and cilantro! Serve in a bowl with one of following delicious and nutritious pairings below.
Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe Pairings
This recipe is delicious as a stand-alone, but if you’re looking to serve it as a side dish, or in a bowl with quinoa or rice, we highly recommend any of the following:
- White rice
- Brown rice
- Top with cashews
- Wonton chips for scooping
- Egg roll wrapper if you truly want a proper egg roll!
- As a side or appetizer for one of the following asian dishes below:
More Asian Recipes
- General Tso’s Cauliflower
- Instant Pot Cashew Chicken
- Instant Pot Healthy Fried Rice
- PF Changs Lettuce Wraps
- Healthy Orange Chicken
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/4 medium red onion, shredded or thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sliced pea pods
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Start by placing all of the ingredients for the sauce into a small bowl and whisk all of the ingredients together until combined. Set the sauce aside for later.
- Next, heat a large skillet pan over medium/high heat and add olive oil.
- When the olive oil is fragrant, add the ground turkey and cook until turkey is no longer pink.
- Then, add shredded carrots, cabbage, red onion, and the sauce to the pan and mix. Cook everything together for 3-5 minutes. Stirring every minute or so.
- Push meat and vegetables to the side of the pan and crack eggs into the empty side of the pan. Using a spatula, scramble eggs while they cook.
- When the eggs are fully cooked, fold them into the meat and vegetables.
- Finally, add the pea pods to the pan and let them cook with all of the other ingredients for 1 minute (you don’t want them to get mushy).
- Remove the pan from heat and top with optional sesame seeds, green onion, and cilantro!
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 recipe Calories: 305 Sugar: 4 Sodium: 591 Fat: 16 Carbohydrates: 13 Fiber: 3 Protein: 29 Cholesterol: 171
Keywords: egg roll in a bowl