Made with just 4 ingredients, these salted caramel date cups are a nutritious swap for chocolates!
Ditch the store-bought candy and make your own salted caramel date cups with Medjool dates, chocolate chips, coconut oil, and sea salt!
Date caramel is such a fun swap for refined-sugar-packed caramel; you only need one ingredient – dates! Process them in your food processor to make date paste, then roll them into little balls. Cover them with melted chocolate and freeze.
What is in salted caramel date cups?
These date cups are made with 4 simple ingredients. The star? Medjool dates! Make sure you use soft dates to easily form a paste in the food processor. You’ll also need semi-sweet chocolate chips, a little coconut oil, and sea salt for topping.
Substitues & Variations
Chocolate: instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips, you can use dark chocolate or even dairy free chocolate.
Big cups: don’t have a mini muffin tin? Use a regular-sized one instead.
Example Title Text
Can you make these vegan?
To make these salted date caramel cups vegan, make sure to use dairy-free chocolate chips.
What if my dates are too hard?
To soften your dates, add water to your food processor by the 1/4 teaspoon until malleable
We recommend storing these in your freezer in a freezer-safe, gallon-size bag. They will last up to 3 months.
Salted Caramel Date Cups
- Line a mini cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Prepare the date caramel by placing dates in a high-speed food processor. Process on high for about a 2 minutes, stopping to scrape the sides a few times. If you are having problems getting the dates to form a paste, add water by the 1/4 teaspoon.
- Using a 1/2 teaspoon, scoop out date caramel into your hand and roll into balls. You’ll want to make 24 and will most likely have some leftover date caramel. Try to wet your hands first so that it’s easier to roll into balls. Set aside.
- Next, melt the chocolate. Add the chocolate and the coconut oil to a microwavable bowl. Microwave on high for 20 second intervals and stir after every interval. Repeat until the chocolate is melted and glossy.
- Add 1 teaspoon of chocolate to the bottom of each muffin cup. Put a ball of date caramel on top and cover that with 1-1.5 teaspoons of melted chocolate.
- Sprinkle with Himalayan sea salt and then place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Dates*: if your dates aren’t soft/squishy, you may need to add a teaspoon of water to the food processor.
- Feel free to substitute semi-sweet chocolate with any other type of chocolate.
- Store in the freezer for u to 3 months.