This Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole with a crunchy pecan topping will sweeten up any holiday dinner table. Everything you love about the traditional sweet potato casserole with a healthy twist.
A New Spin on a Sweet Potato Casserole
Anyone else grow up in a family that hasn’t had a sweet potato casserole at the Thanksgiving dinner table for years because no one would even touch that fake-y sweet, marshmallow-topped, gooey dish?
Even though our family LOVES sweet potatoes, this casserole just never made the cut. Until this recipe, which you bet your bippy I’ll be bringing to Thanksgiving this year.
The combination of Greek yogurt and almond milk with pureed sweet potatoes gives the base of this sweet potato casserole the most delicious creamy texture without a ton of added fat you typically find in this dish.
To replace the traditional marshmallow topping we sprinkled with the just-right-sweetness of the crunchy pecan topping. This combination results in a more savory bottom with a sweet crumbly topping. YUM. Let’s get into the ingredients!
Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole Ingredients
We worked really hard to make sure that you would still be able to taste the sweet potato flavor in this sweet potato casserole! Here are the ingredients we used!
- Roasted Sweet potatoes
- Greek yogurt
- Almond milk
- Olive oil
Pecan Topping Ingredients
One thing that is a must (for us) when developing this healthy sweet potato casserole recipe was to make sure that it wasn’t one big casserole dish of mush. The pecan topping gives this casserole dish a little crunch. It’s the perfect combination of texture and flavor.
Tips + Tricks
Make this healthy sweet potato casserole the night before!
You can make this healthy sweet potato casserole the night before you are planning to serve it! We recommend making the sweet potato casserole the night before, letting it cool completely, and then cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
To heat up the casserole, cover with tin foil and place it in the oven at 325ºF for 10-20 minutes, checking every 10 minutes.
How do you keep sweet potato casserole warm?
Remove the sweet potato casserole from the oven and cover with tin foil to keep warm if you are planning to serve it within 30 minutes of taking it out of the oven.
If you need to reheat the sweet potato casserole, place it in the oven at 325ºF for 10-20 minutes and then serve immediately.
What is the difference between sweet potatoes vs. yams?
In American grocery stores, there is no difference between sweet potatoes and yams! REAL yams are harder to find but tend to be more similar to yucca. Real yams will have the skin thicker skin that resembles bark.
If you are at the grocery store and the sweet potatoes and the yams are indistinguishable, either one will work for this recipe!
How do I make this sweet potato casserole vegan?
To make this healthy sweet potato casserole vegan, try substituting the Greek yogurt with vegan yogurt or vegan cream cheese!
How do I store healthy sweet potato casserole?
You can keep this healthy sweet potato casserole in the fridge, covered for up to 7 days.
We do NOT recommend freezing this sweet potato casserole.
Healthy Holiday Side Dishes
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Healthy Green Bean Casserole with Crunchy Onions
- Balsamic Sea Salt Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad with Quinoa
- 3 large sweet potatoes (~3 cups, mashed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and minced
- 3 tablespoons room temperature butter (or coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or coconut sugar
- First, preheat your oven to 400ºF and spray an 8×8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Next, peel sweet potatoes and chop them into 2-inch cubes. Place them on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and toss.
- Bake sweet potatoes for 25 minutes or until tender. Toss halfway.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, place all ingredients for the pecan topping (except for bacon) into a large food processor. Pulse on high until ingredients form a crumble.
- Add bacon to the food processor and pulse a couple more times to incorporate the bacon bits into the mixture. Remove crumble mixture from the food processor and place into a separate bowl.
- Place roasted sweet potatoes, almond milk, Greek yogurt, and salt into the same food processor you used for the pecan mixture. Use the pulse feature to combine ingredients, but do not totally puree the sweet potato. You want some chunks.
- Once mashed, add the sweet potato mixture to baking dish and use a spatula to spread out evenly. Then, sprinkle pecan mixture over the top.
- Bake the casserole at 350ºF for 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Storage: store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Option to sub coconut oil for butter, or vice-versa
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/6 Calories: 268 Sugar: 9 Fat: 19 Carbohydrates: 22 Fiber: 4 Protein: 6
Keywords: sweet potato casserole