Our healthy carrot cake recipe is ultra moist and made with whole ingredients such as white whole wheat flour, maple syrup, warm spices, and Greek yogurt.
This recipe was modified on April 7, 2020. It has now been tested multiple times to ensure it works and tastes delicious!
Carrot Cake = Cake for All Seasons
So I’m trying to figure out what season carrot cake belongs in. Is it a winter cake? A summer cake? An Easter cake? The world may never know.
I’m dubbing it a year-round cake because carrots are pretty much always in season. How do you feel about that?
This healthy carrot cake recipe is probably the easiest carrot cake you’ll ever make. I tested it 3 times in one week and it got easier every time.
Girl’s gotta make sure it works before it goes on the blog. I’m not complaining…my fridge was fully stocked with the best cake in the world. Plus the cream cheese frosting is divine!
Why do I love this carrot cake so much? Well, let me tell you!
The Best Healthy Carrot Cake
- It’s made with 100% whole wheat flour.
- We used maple syrup instead of refined sugar.
- We supplemented some Greek yogurt for more oil or butter.
- It’s made with coconut oil instead of butter.
- It’s topped with the BEST healthy cream cheese frosting recipe ever!
I forgot to mention that you likely already have everything you need for this carrot cake in your kitchen because it’s made from pantry staples.
One thing we try and do here at Fit Foodie Finds is bake with similar ingredients in all of our recipes so you aren’t scrambling to find weird/hard-to-find ingredients! Here’s the basis of what you need:
Healthy Carrot Cake Ingredients
- white whole wheat flour
- ground cinnamon
- coconut oil
- maple syrup
- grated carrots
- Greek yogurt
Lightened-Up Cream Cheese Frosting
- fat-free cream cheese
- nonfat Greek yogurt
- maple syrup
Can I make this cake vegan?
While we haven’t tested this recipe with flax eggs, we are confident that it will work. Follow our How to Make a Flax Egg recipe! In addition to a flax egg, you can replace the Greek yogurt with a non-dairy yogurt or even more mashed banana.
Can I sub a different flour such as almond flour or coconut four?
The short answer to this is NO. Coconut flour and almond flour can NOT be swapped 1:1 with white whole wheat flour. You’ll need to find a grain-free specific carrot cake recipe if you want to go that route.
More Healthy Carrot Cake Recipes
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Carrot Cake Loaf
- Carrot Cake Overnight Oats
- Whole Grain Carrot Cake Muffins
- Healthy Carrot Cake Pancakes
Healthy Carrot Cake Recipe
Our healthy carrot cake is ultra moist and made with whole ingredients such as white whole wheat flour, maple syrup, warm spices, and Greek yogurt.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- 3–4 large carrots, peeled and grated (2-cups packed)
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup fat-free cream cheese
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or more to taste)
Healthy Carrot Cake
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a 9×9-inch pan with coconut oil cooking spray. Set aside.
- Next, peel and grate 2 to 3 large carrots. Place grated carrot on 2 pieces of paper towel and squeeze out as much of the moisture as possible. Save the juice and drink it! It’s good for you :)
- Measure out 2 cups of grated carrots and then place into a large bowl along with the rest of the dry ingredients and mix.
- In a medium bowl, mix together wet ingredients minus the coconut oil.
- Add wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix. Finally, add in melted coconut oil and mix again.
- Transfer batter into a 9×9-inch pan and into the oven. Bake at 350ºF for 25-30 minutes.
- Let carrot cake cool for at least an hour before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- While the carrot cake is cooling, make healthy cream cheese frosting. Place all ingredients into a medium bowl and mix until smooth.
- Once the carrot cake is cool enough, frost, top with optional ground cinnamon and chopped pecans, slice, and enjoy!
- This recipe was updated on April, 7 2020.
- Nutrition information does not include optional toppings.
- Serving Size: 1/9
- Calories: 308
- Sugar: 32
- Fat: 7
- Carbohydrates: 52
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 11