Up your walking taco game with my favorite Way Better Snacks, lean ground turkey taco meat, and a delicious kale slaw topped with all of your favorite fixings!
TEAM. Talk about finding the most epic product on the planet right in your backyard! I am so beyond excited to be partnering with my FAVORITE chips- Way Better Snacks over the next couple of months. WBS is based here in Minneapolis, MN and the Sriracha variation legit changed my life. If you follow me on Snapchat…you know that I don’t go a single day without eating chips. Why? Because every meal deserves a little crunch. That’s right- I pretty much find a way to eat chips with ever meal…even if it’s a Thai Coconut Quinoa Bowl or Kung Pao Chicken. When in doubt add chips. More specifically WBS.
Why do I choose WBS over any other kind of chips?
- Made with flax, chia, and quinoa
- 100% whole grain
- full of flavor!
- I can pronounce EVERY ingredient
I brought a bag of the spicy sriracha kind (because I’m clearly obsessed with this flavor) with us to the Boundary Waters last weekend and my sister almost lost her sh*t at how good these chips are.
I have been a huge fan of the walking taco ever since I had my very first one at a middle school football game. Who ever came up with that idea is a pure genius. The classic recipe calls for chips + meat + cheese + sour cream. Clearly I upped the ante with this recipe because I added a handful of superfoods and of course a better base.
For my protein I chose ground chicken, buy you are more than welcome to use any meat you prefer such as beef or turkey. The meat part of the recipe is super easy because it’s really just sautéed meat with some spices and your favorite salsa. I also added a splash of maple syrup, which is my secret to the most delicious taco/chili meat you’ll ever eat.
The slaw is vinegar based with a touch of lime juice and honey. I used an avocado mayo by Primal Kitchen, which I recently discovered in place of normal mayo. You guys…it’s SO GOOD. Lin and I have experimented with the chipotle variation and NOMMMMM.
A walking taco is quite like a bowl if you ask me. You prep all of the ingredients and then assemble as needed. Per usual…don’t forget the toppings! I went with my classic guacamole, shredded cheese, and our new favorite – Greek yogurt + hot sauce.
How to Make Healthy Walking Tacos
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
For the Taco Meat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup
- squeeze of lime juice
- 1/2 cup salsa (any kind!)
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the Slaw
- 2 cups kale slaw (or normal slaw mix)
- 2 tablespoons avocado mayo
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (juice form 1 lime)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- salt, to taste
Toppings + Other
For the Taco Meat
- Place 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet and heat to medium/high heat. Then, add in yellow onion and ground turkey and sauté for about 5 minutes or until meat is fully cooked. Add spices, salsa, maple syrup, and lime juice, and mix until combined. Set aside.
For the Slaw
- Mix together all ingredients in a medium size bowl. Set aside.
For the Walking Talk
- Open a single serve bag of Way Better Snacks. Then, scoop on about 1/4 cup of meat, 1/3 cup of slaw, and all the toppings your heart desires!
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 401
- Sugar: 8
- Fat: 25
- Protein: 25
This recipe is sponsored by the amazing, Way Better Snacks. I was compensated and all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting Fit Foodie Finds and my chip addiction! Follow WBS: Instagram | Facebook