Whip up this delicious strawberry banana spinach smoothie recipe in no time with our secret meal prep smoothies trick! We’re showing you how to make this amazing and nutritious spinach smoothie immediately or how to make ahead for later!
Guess what today is?! Spinach smoothie day! We’re sharing a super simple spinach smoothie made with 6 total ingredients and in just 5 minutes! BONUS – we’re also sharing how you can turn this green smoothie into meal prep smoothies for later. Let’s get started.
How to Make a Strawberry Banana Spinach Smoothie
Step 1: Freeze Fruit
One of my favorites things to do is buy fruit that is on sale in bulk so that I can freeze it for later specifically to use in smoothies. Buy one get one free on berries, but 4…over-ripe bananas 50% off? Buy 3 bunches! We have a few great tutorials on Fit Foodie Finds about how to freeze berries and how to freeze bananas, which is perfect for this recipe!
Essentially, all you have to do is slice fruit, place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for about 2 hours or until completely frozen. Not only can you do this with strawberries and bananas, but you can pretty much do this with any kind of fruit!
Step 2: Assemble Meal Prep Smoothies
Now that your fruit is frozen, it’s time to assemble your meal prep smoothies bags! We love this concept because it makes for a super simple green breakfast smoothie option in the morning when you have little to no time! You’ll need 4 (or 8 if you’re doubling) pint-sized freezer-safe bags. In addition, you’ll need to add the following to each bag:
- 1 cup frozen fruit
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
At this point, you can add other add-ins to your smoothie bags to make them your own! Here are some ideas for you to explore:
- flax seeds
- cocoa powder
- other fruit
Step 3: Seal Bags
Once all of your ingredients are inside of the bag it’s time to remove as much air as possible before sealing. Do this as best you can to prevent freezer burn. The more air that is inside of the bags, the easier it will be to get freezer burn!
Step 4: Freeze for Later
Now it’s time to write the name of the recipe and date on each bag and freeze for later! I like to do this just so I know what exactly is in the bag as well as which meal prep smoothies are the oldest.
Storage: These spinach smoothies will last up to 3 months in the freezer.
Step 5: Blend and Serve
This is the final step in making your strawberry banana green breakfast smoothie! Pour the contents of your smoothie bag into a blender and then add 2 tablespoons of your favorite protein powder and about 1/2 cup of almond milk (or more). Then, blend on high for around 1 minute or until the spinach pieces have completely blended. Top with any of your favorite toppings such as fresh fruit and granola.
If you’re not interested in meal prepping these smoothies and want to serve immediately, all you need to do is add all of your ingredients to your blender and blend away!
More Green Breakfast Smoothie Ideas
- The Best Green Smoothie Recipes
- Healthy Green Smoothie Bowl
- Cold-Busting Green Smoothie
- Banana Matcha Smoothie
- The Best Breakfast Smoothie (not green, but my fav!)
Meal Prep Strawberry Banana Spinach Smoothie
For the Meal Prep Smoothies Bags
- 2 cups frozen sliced bananas
- 2 cups frozen whole strawberries
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 4 teaspoons chia seeds
For Serving (for 1 serving)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla protein powder any kind
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
For the Bag
- First, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then, evenly spread out 2 cups of sliced bananas, 2 cups of whole strawberries. Place in the freezer for about 2 hours or until completely frozen.
- Next, take 4 quart-size freezer bags and write the date and Strawberry Banana Green Smoothie on the front. Add 1 cup of the frozen fruit, a handful of spinach, and a teaspoon of chia seeds to each bag.
- Before sealing, make sure you squeeze as much air out as possible to prevent freezer burn. Seal and place in the freezer for later use.
For Blending (for 1 serving)
- Once you're ready to blend, empty contents of spinach smoothie bag into a high-speed blender.
- Then, add about 1/2 cup of almond milk and 2 tablespoons of your favorite protein powder.
- Blend on high for about 1 minute or until everything is blended.
Tips & Notes
- Nutrition information is for a single serving spinach smoothie.
- Storage: meal prep smoothie bags will stay for up to 3 months in the freezer.
- Option to double or triple this recipe.