Sheet pan chicken fajitas are an easy one pan meal that’s made with juicy chicken thighs, peppers, onions, and fajita seasoning.
What are sheet pan chicken fajitas?
Sheet pan chicken fajitas are just like classic chicken fajitas, but instead of making them on the stovetop, they’re made on a sheet pan in your oven.
Sheet pan chicken fajitas are typically made with chicken breast or thighs, peppers and onions, and fajita seasoning. The chicken strips, peppers, and onions are tossed in oil and fajita spices and then baked in the oven until fully cooked and ready to assemble.
Why you’ll love it!
One pan meal
Lots of leftovers
Become a Pro at Cooking Chicken!
We’ll teach you everything you need to know on how to cook chicken perfectly every time + we’ll share our top chicken recipes when you subscribe to our emails today!
What is Needed to Make Shee Pan Chicken Fajitas
One thing we love about this sheet pan chicken recipe is that you really only need a handful of whole ingredients to get started.
Chicken: we’re using boneless, skinless chicken thighs. But, we’ve also tried this recipe with breasts, too.
Peppers: feel free to use any color of bell pepper you wish. We used 4 different ones to add nice pops of color to the meal.
Onions: you can use a white, yellow, or red onion.
Oil: we used avocado oil, but olive oil works too.
Salsa: salsa is used to give the chicken a bit of extra flavor. Check out our homemade salsa recipe.
Fajita Seasoning: what would fajitas be without the seasoning? Feel free to use store-bought or make your own.
3 Ways to Serve Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
While the most common way to serve this chicken fajita recipe is in a street taco tortilla with fajita fixings, you can also serve it a few other ways, too!
Serve this sheet pan recipe just like classic fajitas. Serve in a mini tortilla (flour or corn) and top with:
Fajita Burrito (or bowl)
Burrito fan?! Use an XL tortilla to serve these as a burrito just like Chipotle. Layer in:
If you love chips like us, these fixings are the perfect thing to make nachos out of. Layer a sheet pan with tortilla chips and top with the chicken fajitas + shredded cheese any any other toppings.
Make your own fajita seasoning: whenever possible, we like to make our own spice blends. Fajita seasoning is one of our most popular recipes on FFF.
Use chicken thighs vs. breast: we know that it’s tempting to use chicken breast for this recipe, but we really recommend chicken things. They’re so much juicier and hold flavor better.
Slice evenly: make sure that you slice your chicken strips evenly so that they cool evenly. Same with the peppers and onions.
Got leftover chicken fajitas?
If you have leftover chicken fajita fixings, here’s an easy way to use up your leftovers.
Check out our chicken fajita burrito recipe for easy instructions + learn how to freeze them, too!
Store leftover sheet pan chicken fajitas in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
To reheat: reheat in the microwave on high for 60-90 seconds. Or, on the stovetop in a little oil for 3-5 minutes.
Email Me this Recipe
Share your email, and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus, enjoy weekly doses of recipe inspiration as a bonus!
"*" indicates required fields
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs thinly sliced into ½ -inch thick strips*
- ½ cup salsa any kind
- 2.5 tablespoons fajita seasoning we used homemade fajita seasoning
- 3-4 medium bell peppers sliced (any color)
- 1 large white onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 3 teaspoons fajita seasoning we used homemade fajita seasoning
- 8-10 street taco tortillas corn or flour
- Optional Toppings
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Avocado slices
- Fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and grease the pan with avocado oil.
- Add the chicken strips, salsa, and fajita seasoning to a bowl and toss until the chicken is coated in spices and salsa. Let the chicken marinate for at least 10 minutes (longer for extra flavor).
- Transfer the peppers, onions, and garlic to the baking sheet and drizzle the avocado oil over the vegetables and season them with fajita seasoning. Toss all of the ingredients together until the veggies are coated. Spread the vegetables out over half of the baking sheet.
- Spread the chicken strips out over the other half of the baking sheet. Bake everything together for 30 minutes, tossing halfway through the cooking time.
- Turn the heat to broil and broil the chicken and peppers for 1-2 minutes until the chicken and peppers brown and form crispy edges.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with tortillas and fixings.
Tips & Notes
- 1.5 lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken thighs came out to 6 thighs for us. It will vary by the size of the chicken thighs used.
- We used our homemade fajita seasoning but you can use store-bought fajita seasoning as well.
- If you’d like the fajitas to be spicier, add ½ -1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Ashley McGlaughlin from The Edible Perspective.